Speaker placement in ex system

P

Philip Newton

just upgraded to EX and want to know where to put extra speaker. Is it at same height as surrounds (which are up about 3 feet above listening position on the side walls pointing at me) and directly behind the listening position or is there another way.

B

bob007

Positioned directly behind you, a little higher than the surrounds and faced down slightly.

P

Philip Newton

thanks I will give it a go, Do I set same level as other speakers e.g 75db?

B

bob007

Just remember when positioning the surround back channel to have at least a distance of 1m/1.5m away from where you are sat to get the best results.

M

martin

Just remember when positioning the surround back channel to have at least a distance of 1m/1.5m away from where you are sat to get the best results.
What if you hav'nt got the space behind! I sit on a sofa positioned directly infront of a bricked up fire surround(no longer there now). I'm running 5.1 at the moment and the 2 rears sit in the back alcoves (B&W DS6 dipoles) ,but i'm changing to 6.1 in the next month(new amp) and placing the dipoles to the side walls directly in line to the listening position. I was thinking of using " IN WALL " speakers ( B&W do some to match the DS6, exactly the same speaker just with a in wall mounting box). The only thing is , will the centre rear be too close behind my head+ should i go for a pair to sink into the chimney breast to spead out the rear effect.

B

bob007

Might work with in wall speakers, but still think you would be too close.

What about ceiling speakers? These have been mentioned on another thread, I think they would work better. :)

M

martin

What about ceiling speakers? These have been mentioned on another thread, I think they would work better.
I have auditioned some in ceiling speakers at Sevenoaks at sheffield and I didnt get on with them. The sound still seemed to be coming from above rather than behind. Although the speakers in the demo room( M&K) sounded very good , the positioning of the sound was not to my liking. Maybe I ought to think about staying with 5.1 but uprating to a higher spec amp( i only have a Yamaha a5) , but i still would like to convert to prologic 2. Any other sugestions?

B

bob007

If staying with 5.1 what about going the power amp route, a nice 5channel amp like Rotel on top of the Yamaha would be far more rewarding IMO.

As for DPL2, from what I keep reading it is a bit hit and miss, lacking in bass has been to most disappointment.

All depends on what you watch the most, dvd's/tv? Only then will you know if you will benefit from DPL2 and want to upgrade in that direction. :)

M

martin

If staying with 5.1 what about going the power amp route, a nice 5channel amp like Rotel on top of the Yamaha would be far more rewarding IMO.
Only one problem, I have to sell my Yamaha a5 to a mate to be able to buy the replacement. I watch alot of SKY programs and music channels so the PL2 should make it better( I found the std pro logic on the Yamaha poor + I have a sub to make up for any lack of bass). I am visiting the Home Entertainment show in Manchester and I will try and audition some receivers there. If it comes down to it I may just buy one of the new amps (possibly the DENON 1803 or the PIONEER 811),I dont have to use 6.1/7.1 until I can come up with a salution.

dts_boy

i have been in this position as my couch is also close to a back wall. i made the expensive mistake of getting the ex speakers and thought it sounded good. eventually, when decorating, i set it up as a 5.1 system and was amazed at how much better it sounded! 6.1/7.1 is worth it if you have the space, if not 5.1 is still very good!

M

martin

6.1/7.1 is worth it if you have the space, if not 5.1 is still very good!
Maybe i should think about getting a better 5.1 amp say a Yamaha dsp a1 secound hand? I've put a wanted add in the forum, i'll see what happens.

ReTrO

Originally posted by martin
( B&W do some to match the DS6, exactly the same speaker just with a in wall mounting box).

The DS6 and their inwall cousins have been discontinued for a while now.

It's worth looking at the CCM800 though.

What's your wall made of?
If it's not plasterboard stud wall then you will have a lot of work on your hands.

muscat

Standard Member
I am currently thinking of upgrading to 6.1. My rear speakers are currently behind me and about 2.5m apart and I cannot postion these anywhere else. The additional speaker would go between these but would be higher.

Would an additional speaker make much difference in these circumstances or would I be as well just sticking with my existing 5.1 setup.

Jase

Distinguished Member
muscat

You really need depth behind you for the rear centre speaker/s and ideally it should be further back than the left & right surround speakers.

If you can get hold of a speaker it might be worth experimenting but I think you´ll find 5.1 better in your case.

The latest video from AVForums

Prey + Bullet Train reviews, Heat 4K + Event Horizon 4K and all the latest movies and TV news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom