Speaker Placement Help - My Room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gpt, Aug 15, 2012.

1. gpt

gpt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Everyone.

Im FINALLY finishing work on my house and can at last setup a full surround sound system. I have the kef q900's, 600c, and 300's. I extended the lounge to make it more square and always had an idea of what i wanted. Although in all reality, them 300's are some pretty darn big rears, and here in lies the problem. I have been trying to follow the thx/dolby recommendations for distance from screen, along with speaker angles. In reality i think i have been sitting too far away and being closer will help improve the immersive experience.

I have attached a file below of my present intentions. The problem is on the right hand side, literally just as i walk into the lounge, i would need to place a big black q 300 box on the wall, right in my bay window.

In the file is also the dimentions of my reclining sofa and other speakers. I would be interested to hear peoples views or perhaps on how they would configure the room.

Help is greatly appreciated!

oh and drawing is to scale - 1 square = 50cm

Thanks

Pete

Attached Files:

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    If the speakers can go where you have drawn them then it looks pretty good to me. If the rear speakers can not go where they are drawn then moving to to the rear wall should not be too much of an issue. Although the sub is nondirectional I prefer to have mine between the front speakers as I feel it integrates better with the fronts etc.

3. gpt

gpt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    On the side walls I am fearing they may be a bit of an eye saw. On the rear wall. Do you not think they would be too close together that I may lose some of the surround sound feel?. An alternative was to move the tv to the rear wall and have the sofa where the tv is on the spreadsheet. But I would be much further from the tv and pos to close to the rears

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    I think they will be fine on the rear wall. I assume you will have the speakers placed just outside the width of the sofa which should give a good rear soundfield (it is how I have my back speakers and sounds good to me).

5. gpt

gpt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Well that's the problem with the rear wall. The back right wouldn't be outside the width of the sofa because the door is there. So if they were on the rear wall they may be too close together and also not wide enough. The alternative is to make it a 7.1 setup but I could do with more discreet speakers for the sides that would match the rest of the large q series...

U can see how the room is ALMOST perfect lol

6. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,434
    The Kef T series may be an option for rear speakers or maybe some Kef eggs?

7. gpt

gpt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    May get some t series where the sr and sl are in the drawing and move the 300's the rears. Can't see any other way around it...

8. keen4av

keen4av
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem to yours.

what I did was to get a mount that tilts up and down as well turning side to side. I mounted my right rear over the door frame and angled it downwards towards the sofa, same for the other side so its uniform.

But my speakers are smaller than yours.

Thought I get my 2 shillings in.