Speaker Placement front/rear and Aesthetics

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dq46, Sep 5, 2012.

1. dq46

dq46

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hello

Tricky one (for me) and I think I can forsee the answers but here goes..

Mounting LCD and 5.1 speaker setup. TV going over the fire opening however, opening is off centre on the wall. For reasons of symmetry it would make sense to place L and R speakers about ~400mm either side of the TV but concerned I will loose stereo impact (currently floor stands ~3m apart). I say ~400mm because I run out of wall at 500mm.

An option would be to place speaker at either side of the wall (~2.5m apart) but will look cat if aligned with level of TV (1.6-7M off floor). An alternative would be to mount speakers up high near ceiling(brackets will allow me point speakers to my listening position).

Having spent a ton on this kit I really want to retain best audio possible.

So any thoughts on whether I should go high ~2M and far apart (~3M) or close to the TV (speaker separation would be circa 2M)

By the way the rear speaker will be ~1.5M off the ground and ~3M apart.

Any advise would be appreciated.
    cheers

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. MaturityDodger

MaturityDodger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +604
    What's your viewing distance? If it's anywhere between 1.73m and 2.48m, then 2m separation is actually pretty ideal. That's if I've remember my trigonometry correctly.

Where is your centre going? Are you mounting that just below the TV? I'd generally shy away from mounting the fronts in the top corners, partly due to the height but partly due to the separation from the centres. I'd sacrifice width of the fronts to get them at a sensible height.

But that's just me. You're best off testing both configurations yourself (rig up some temporary fixings somehow, even if you have to perch the speaker on top of something) and see which you prefer.
    I can only guess at what would be best - there are far too many variables involved in a real-room system to make certain predictions.