1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker placement for 6.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by IGADHIA, Jun 5, 2002.

1. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there guys.... just clearing up a few things...

I am on the way to get myself a denon 3802 so that I can connect 6.1 (kef eggs? maybe or Q1's)

so my question is, with 6.1, what does the speaker placement look like for everything... I am thinking of wall mounting... my room is rectangular half is the cinema area the back half in something else....

thanks a lot..

2. Patrick vdb

Patrick vdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    See attachement of suggested speaker-set up. The picture shows the ideal speaker placement with a 5.1 and a 7.1 set-up. When using a 6.1 set-up you can place this 6th speaker in the middle of the two surround back channels (when using a 7.1 set-up). Hope this will answer your question.

best regards

Patrick

Attached Files:

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Patrik, you must be a friend of Garments.
    We don't have rooms like that in the UK :rolleyes:. Yes, these are the "ideal" speaker placements but as most of us cannot position speakers in an equidistant fashion (particularly the sides/rear speakers), this could be a problem.

Igado,
    I would suggest using Patriks plans as a rough guide and using the delay facility on your amp to make up for the fact that you will not have all your speakers in an equidistant position.

4. Patrick vdb

Patrick vdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chip,

Let me assure you that also not everebody in the Netherlands have rooms big enough to place the speakers according the ITU-set up;)

Igadhia,

The diagram can be used as a guideline, it shows how the placement should be and can easily be translates in any room when using the delay-function on the processor. When the surroundspeakers for example can not be placed at even distance from the listening position as the fronts the speakers still can be virtually placed at even distance with the delay function.

With the lay-out you have an idea of what the ideal position is and depending on your roomsize and furniture placements you can translate this into your own livingroom. Sometimes it's necessary to make compromises but try to minimize that.

Best regards,

Patrick

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Every speaker placement guide I have read says something different. :confused:

Jeff

6. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats good...

actually I am not too worried becuase the room is being built... ok. some more questions on speaker placement...

1. what about speaker height.... Im going to wall mount them....concern about the surrounds... i guess it would be best to put them behind the seating and face them towards...but what about the center rear... can I have hanging off the ceiling facing down? dont really want a speaker stand in the middle of the room behind the sofa!

2. at what height on the walls shall I have them? seated height? or higher and pointed downwards.....?

thanks a lot

this give me an idea where to have the cables hanging out before I plaster the walls....

cheers!

7. Patrick vdb

Patrick vdb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Igadhia,

About question number 1:

If I understand correctly you are going to place the surround speakers at the same wall as the surround back speaker. If this is the only possibilty then you'll have to delay the surround back channel more to virtually place the speaker at even distance from the listining position then the left and right surround channel. As for placement itself I would choose to mount the surround back speaker at the same height as the surrounds. Different heights will disturb the soundfield too much in my opinion. So place all the surround speakers at the same height.

About question number 2.

Although several guidelines tell you to place the surrounds at a certain height above the listening position for a more difuse soundfield I personally like surrounds positioned at hearing level (tweeters the same height as hearing level). It is also depending on the speakers you use (do they sound too direct or not?). The best way to find out for your situation is to simply try it out. Do some experiments with the speakerpositioning before mounting them.

best regards,

Patrick

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Which is what I said earlier.

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +891
    Just to add, you really need some distance between your listening position and the surround back speaker/s at least a 2/3 feet, this means normally means bringing the surround speakers forward so they are directly to the sides of where you sit.

The surround back speaker/s need to be like this otherwise you´ll not gain any benefit in having an EX/ES system. Certainly not a good thing to have the surround backs and surround speakers on the same plane, despite the channel delays its just not as convincing.

10. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    for a good refernece then go to
    http://www.dolby.co.uk

there is loads of FAQ's and downloads about most things dolby, and seeings that 5.1 and EX is their baby it maybe worth a look

11. IGADHIA

IGADHIA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you guys are too good.

cheers

12. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am in the exactly same position. 6.1 system with KEF eggs, and a new install with the speakers to be wall mounted, so once the cabling is in...that's it!

I keep changing my mind from week to week. The trouble is that although I am confident that the seating area will be as near to the back of the room as possible, I never know that will be exactly be the case on the day. It may be forwarded slightly due to the positioning of the door.

I currently have the KEF's in the living room and they are near enough to the ceiling mounted on shelving and the sound is great, but because they are at an angle in comparison to the the TV it's not brilliant.

They are currently at around 82 inches from the floor and I am thinking of dropping them to around 71 inches in conjuction with the 2.5ft recommendation above head height (I haven't tested these at this height so I am not too sure of the effect).

However I have heard that the KEF eggs can be situated high up due to being able to angle these down towards the seating area...Oh too many theories...headache!!! :eek:

However I think my front soundstage is my biggest worry. I don't know if to position the eggs either side of my Projector screen (size TBA), which will determine my screen size, or to have the speakers at a lower level (around 31.5" cable out - add 8" on top for speaker), and I can worry less about my screen positioning???

13. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215