Speaker placement for 5.1.4, sofa close to wall.

DarkConvict

Gasp has helped me settle on the speakers to get, and to do 5.1.4 instead of 7.1.4 in Updating the speakers after extension

However, I'm still a little stuck on placement for speakers. Assuming the sofa is fixed in place, it would leave around 30cm at the rear. (The wall cabinets, may or may not be there.)

Currently going for 4x Monitor Audio C265 IDC, as Top Rear and Top Front. But wondering if 2x Dali Alteco as Height Rear and 2x Monitor Audio C265 IDC as Top Front would be better due to limited room.

Based on the attached diagram, where would you put the ceiling speakers?

Attachments

• Photo5.JPG
    Photo5.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Photo6.JPG
    Photo6.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 57

ashenfie

I have a similar issue and I went for the svs prime elevation speakers on the back wall with 5.1.2 leaving the option for 5.1.4 later. The elevations are similar to the Alteco and I can say they work really well and very neutral

DarkConvict

I have a similar issue and I went for the svs prime elevation speakers on the back wall with 5.1.2 leaving the option for 5.1.4 later. The elevations are similar to the Alteco and I can say they work really well and very neutral

Are your SVS prime elevation speakers set as Rear Height, Top Rear or Top Middle within the AVR?

ashenfie

Are your SVS prime elevation speakers set as Rear Height, Top Rear or Top Middle within the AVR?
They are simply set as the surrounds, for clarity not the rear surrounds.

DarkConvict

They are simply set as the surrounds, for clarity not the rear surrounds.

Not sure I follow.

If you have 5.1.2. For the 5 - You have front, centre, right, right surround and left surround. There are at "ear level".

For the 2 in the ceiling, they could be rear height, rear top, middle top, front top, front height.

ashenfie

Not sure I follow.

If you have 5.1.2. For the 5 - You have front, centre, right, right surround and left surround. There are at "ear level".

For the 2 in the ceiling, they could be rear height, rear top, middle top, front top, front height.
It depends slight on your speakers, but often have the right and left surround 2 feet above ear level. The key point is you don't want your ears to be able to pin point the location of the speaker.

DarkConvict

It depends slight on your speakers, but often have the right and left surround 2 feet above ear level. The key point is you don't want your ears to be able to pin point the location of the speaker.

I have my right/left about 1ft above ear level. With my current Dali Alteco on the ceiling at 5ft above ear level.

Are you running your ceiling speakers and surrounds (sides), both as side speakers?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom