Answered Speaker placement before house is fully built

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jaspy412, Aug 27, 2018.

1. jaspy412

jaspy412

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all, I have placed my deposit on a new built that will be finished in December. I have the chance of getting the electrician to do work on the side and pre-install speaker wires. From the image of a plan layout I was wondering (for an atmos system) for the rear left should this be the location marked '2' or '3'? and for the ceiling ones should they be '5' or '6' with the settee next to the door being the main listening / watching position? Thank you in advance

Attached Files:

2. Best Answer:
    Post #7 by gibbsy, Aug 30, 2018 (1 points)
  3. pyrotenax

pyrotenax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    In my opinion , they need to be equidistant from main listening position.
    Is the door normally closed when viewing ?

4. jaspy412

jaspy412

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi, yes the door will be closed

5. pyrotenax

pyrotenax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Well , from the Dolby Atmos Home Theater Installation Guidelines (because we all follow those dont we ? :blush:) ....

"The horizontal width should be about the same as the horizontal separation of left and right speakers placed at ±30 degrees. If this guidance is followed, the overhead side-to-side separation should be 0.5 to 0.7 of the width of the overall layout, depending on the distance to the screen and the front three speakers, relative to the surrounds. It is best to keep the overhead arrangement centered, front to back, over the listening area, even if the front speakers and screen are at a greater distance than the surround speakers."

[​IMG]

Here is my attempt .....

[​IMG]

p.s. I had the light moved because it was in my view and not equally spaced as the other

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    It's really hard to try and envisage a room from a plan as to where you're actually going to put furniture. However and going by your plan above it's going to be easy for your electrickery person to wire in the surrounds on the back wall and for those and the position of your sofa I would suggest something like the Monitor Audio Bronze FX, in positions 1 and 2.

Or do already have speakers? If you already have speakers then if you can move the sofa away from the wall then wall mounting a standard speaker in those positions and angled in would work. I have a pair of KEF R100s in a similar position with my chair 400mm from a rear wall. If you want to use Atmos then those surrounds need to be just above head height to facilitate good separation from the Atmos speakers.

As for Atmos, you have to get these right and I would stick as close as is possible to the recommended Dolby set up for a 5.1.2, which I think would be slightly for ward of positions 4 and 5.

7. jaspy412

jaspy412

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi and many thanks for your replies. For the fronts I already have a pair of monitor audio rx6's and a rxc (sub tbc). As it took a while to get the wife to agree on the fronts I wanted the others to be out of sight, so the FX's would not really be in agreement. My thoughts are in locations 1 and 2 either cambridge audio MIN12's or MIN22's angled inwards towards the listner on the settee. Then in-ceiling speakers at locations 4 and 5 but move them slightly forward as advised above

8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Best Answer
    That would work, don't have the Mins placed too high though, this would give a better separation between the inceiling and surrounds for Atmos effects.