Question Speaker Placement Advice

SadieBelle

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,

We are doing some renovations on our home and are taking the opportunity (while ceilings are down and walls are being plastered) to add some home cinema equipment to our lounge.

I'm hoping to get a recessed ceiling pull down screen, a ceiling mounted projector and 5.1 surround sound.

The lounge is; 8.2m long, 3.6m wide and 2.15m high (27' x 12' x 7'). Our sofa is approx 5m (17') from the front TV wall and approx 3m (9') from the rear wall and is off centre. There are two armchairs (one on each side wall) halfway between the sofa and TV wall.

My questions are to do with speaker placement.

1. As the screen will pull down (in front of our wall mounted TV) the two side speakers will be 2.5m (8') apart (approx width of screen) and approx 50cm (1' 6") away from the side walls. Is this too close to the side walls?

2. Are ceiling speakers any good for the 2x rear surround speakers? Ceiling speakers would be the easiest to install and aesthetically the best. But there's no point if they won't do the job properly.

3. If ceiling speakers are a goer, where's best to position them - just behind the rear corners of the sofa (which isn't centred)?

4. If ceiling speakers are not a goer, where's best to position speakers on the rear wall? Can they go in the corners near the ceiling? This would be the neatest solution due to a door on that wall and 2x wall lights. The other option is below the wall lights, which aren't centred to the room due to the door (but are centred to the sofa).

Many thanks.

Thanks Joe.

I have already seen that guide and as we can't accommodate the ideal, I'm trying to figure out the best compromise.

The issue is that we can't test out speaker positions and tweak them as they're all going to be built in, so I'm hoping to plunder the experience of others.

Sadie.

Hi I,ve no experience of ceiling speakers but I do have experience with surround speakers high up in the corners and they sound excellent.I like the surround stereo effect you get from behind as you have a wide soundfield.
I,ve always preferred my surround to be high up on my walls,say for instance a plane flying back to front ,you get that litle height effect.
So I would say,place them in the corners and enjoy the experience.

Hi,
Will you be considering an Atmos/DTS:X system in the future as these are the newly released formats. If so you really should get your wiring in place at this stage and NOT place surrounds in the ceiling.

Feel free to drop me a pm or email.
[email protected]

Best regards

Rich

You could get an acoustically transparent screen which may allow the fronts and centre to be placed in more ideal locations.
Ceiling speakers are Ok for rears but are a bit of a compromise. If going for 5.1 the surrounds should be in line with the sofa or just a little back so could you put the speakers on the side walls? If not then I think ceiling speakers are probably the better option compared to 3m back on the rear wall.

As above. If you can install an AT screen even better.
Surrounds need to be placed at or just above ear height if thinking of having an object based system which is the way to go as it brings so much more to the experience then regular 5/7.1.

Ideally you need 3 X LCR, a pair of side surrounds and if possible a pair of surround backs. To compliment this 4 X in ceiling speakers in a top front and too rear position plus one or two subs.

Layout - use the Dolby guide to work out where Spks should go and transfer to the ceiling if you have to go that route.

Projection screen - AT is an option if you have the budget. You mention a pull down screen which suggests you are trying to keep the budget down!

Ceiling Spks - what is above the Cinema room? You may need to manage sound which normally goes up onto the space above the Spks.

Room - can you provide a plan?

Budget - where are you at and what is it to cover?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom