1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Placement Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Elmo, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Elmo

Elmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I have been pondering on if I could get full 5.1 sound in my living room. I have thought a lot about speaker placement but I cant work out if it can be effectively done considering the layout. Here is a picture of the room layout (apologies for quality and scale is off. :rotfl: )

[​IMG]

The problem I have is with the rear speakers. The sofa is right up against the wall, and the stairs. There is no where to mount the left rear speaker unless it is on the wall behind the sofa but it would be directly above where I sit (the left side). The right speaker could go to the right of the sofa and high up I guess but would this work or would it be unbalanced.

Also if the left and right rears were on the wall behind would the fact that the left and right fronts and centre are at a 45% angle to the seating position make balancing the sound impossible ?

Thanks for any help / advice. I want to know if this is possible before investing in the gear.

:thumbsup:

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    Best thing is always to test it out and find the best place to your ears. Difficult to do these things online without being able to see the exact layout and scales of things but something like the attached may work depending on the room between stairs and doors - otherwise it will depend if you have space under the stair or if its a wall there etc etc

Attached Files:

3. Elmo

Elmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the reply. There is room on the wall between the stairs and door for a speaker. I am not sure if the line of sight between there is interrupted by the bannister. I dont think it will effect things that much as the bannister is not solid.

I'll get the gear and give it a go.

Thanks again :)