Speaker panel - best design?

Paulie A

Novice Member
hi guys. Can someone tell me what would be the best way to reduce vibrations from the below designs? this is a speaker mounting plate for the rear of my car that i am 3D printing. I am unsure if having a "window" (on the left design) would compromise the sound quality or induce or reduce vibrations. As i am 3D printing, the window saves me over a meter of material but if it is to have any negative effects i will simply have it as a solid panel. Any advice would be awesome, cheers.

Attachments

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
The gap will become a "port" to the rear of the speaker, which turns it from an infinite baffle to a ported speaker. A wide, flat port like this is likely to reduce the bass output significantly. 3D print material is so cheap that an extra meter is no issue.

Use some mastic on the back to reduce resonance and vibration. You could also thicken the part up - or add extra ribbing to prevent vibration as well.

Paulie A

Novice Member
great advice, thanks for that. I will adjust the design and screenshot it to see what you think.

Paulie A

Novice Member
would something like this be an improvement? this is the rear surface, those 2 blocks are the mounts for a very particular shaped speaker mount but the speaker face sits flush to the whole piece. I have added those ribs, inbetween the ribs you could add silicone if thats to be of any anti-vibration benefit? cheers for the input.

Attachments

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Looks good. Just add some beads of silicone to prevent resonance. Probably 10-30mm apart.

Not sure what material you are looking to print this from, but thing about ABS or PETG rather than PLA if you are using a home type printer. Consider how you will fix into the material without splitting it. Self tapping screws do not play nicely with 3D printed material. I generally use threaded inserts that I cyno into place. Much stronger than straight screws and tidier than bolting through.

Paulie A

Novice Member
cheers for the info. I have already ran a trial and the fitment is all bang on. I will go with the ribs and add silicone inbetween, i think that might be a good way to go. Good shouts on the threaded inserts as well.

Top Bottom