1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker packages

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dongagon, Nov 24, 2003.

1. dongagon

dongagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  2. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've got the old version of the Yamahas that came as a package with the receiver. I'd say they are adequate for many people. They sound fairly good to me and will go as loud as you want. I've not heard a lot of other systems properly apart from a friend's B&W VM1 set. That was excellent, but you are talkiong about around £1000 with the sub. The Yamaha sub lets you know it's there, but I couldn't comment on the 'quality' of the bass.

I've not seen many compliments about Sony speakers.

Ideally you need to hear these things in action which will not be easy in shops, especially at this end of the price range. Maybe someone on the forums with them lives near enough to visit.

Edit - I just noticed you are in Bedfordshire. Drop me a PM and maybe we can arrange something, but I am a bit busy generally due to building a house.

3. dongagon

dongagon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have bought the Sony SA-VE2M speaker package.

I like it alot. The speaker boxes are wooden and quite heavy.
    The satellites deliver a decent amount of 'clean' base, without help from the sub :p

One 'strange' thing though, there is no variable crossover on the the Sub, only a gain/volume knob, On/Off switch and the Line In Connection. So i believe that the cross over must be fixed so that it intergrates with the satellites...not a problem because they work well together, just a bit limiting.

4. steev

steev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Glad to hear you're ahppy with it. That's what really matters. I think my Yamaha sub has a fixed crossover. I've not found it to be a problem. I don't think my satellites give much bass on their own, but then they are tiny.

I can see myself upgrading at some point to get a 'bigger' sound. Maybe one of the Mission sets.