1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Package / Reciever Combo ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mocha Dragon, Apr 1, 2003.

1. Mocha Dragon

Mocha Dragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Hi all,

I'm a new poster here (a relativeley new to H/C).

I need some advice please.

I'd like to get into 6.1 sound, to complete my home cinema set-up.

I have about £1000 (max) to spend and need to get a amp/reciever and speaker package.

Has anyone got any recommendations ?

If it make any difference, my source is a Tosh 210e and am watching the video using a Pana Pt-AE100e projector.

Also, I have a pair of old mission 761i speaker I could throw into the equation if required !?

Lookk forward too your replies.

Mocha D :D

2. Mocha Dragon

Mocha Dragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :( Hi all again,

Does nobody have any suggestion or recommendations - I really would appreciate it.

Alternatively, could anyone suggestion a different forum I'd have better luck in ?

... I feel like the new boy at school ..........

MD

3. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this is my set up and i reckon it`s in or around your price bracket:

marantz sr4300 receiver
    mission m73 fronts
    mission 77c1 centre
    mission m70 rears
    velodyne cht-10 subwoofer

4. paulfd

paulfd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My impartial advice is search this, and the receiver forum, for 'recommend' or 'advice'. You're guaranteed plenty of hits as you can appreciate it's not an unusual question.
    Once you've trawled through all the views, reviews and opinions, make up a short list and then ask again. Your question will be related to a particular combination which someone on here generally has, or something similar. Details about room size, wife friendly requirements etc. also help.

Depending on how you're going to continue with this bank balance draining pastime, buy your goodies with a plan i.e. if you can't afford exactly what you want, plan your spend to get there. Use you current speakers which allows you to spend more on the amp/sub/speakers. You understand the principle?

Above all, go listen to whatever you choose before parting with your cash! Don't buy on the spur of the moment. :lesson:

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    How to spend £1000 ?

Amp £350 gets you Marantz 5300 or Pioneer 811 (just got one myself), Yamaha 630 (maybe even less but rarer). They've got the toys & enough grunt.

£50 to £100 for cables / interconnects

£550 for speakers

My advice is to forget the centre rear for now (unless you have big room you won't notice the difference)

Demote your Missions to surrounds. Leaving you with £550 to spend on a front pair + centre. More than enough for Kef Qs (what I have) , B&W 600 series, Monitor Audio Silver etc etc.

IMHO spending money on your front speakers is where you'll see most return.

What I've got & what it cost (all from 7oaks - you'll have to haggle to get the price down)
    Pioneer vsx811s - £335
    2 pairs Kef Q1 - £450
    1 Kef Q9c - £220
    1 Kef Egg - £85
    25 m of QED under carpet cable £45
    10m QED anniversary silver £50
    QED 75 coax £20
    2 pairs Partington Focus stands £120

Total £1325 so dropping 1 pair of Q1s & the kef egg for now would bring me in a little over £1000

Unfortunately I didn't stop & have also bought 4 sets of Coppertech Alpha interconnects (£110) for analogue connections to amp. A Rotel RA-02 for stereo duty for £320 (these amps are great for movies but they just don't do justice to stereo music) & I'm just about to by a CD player & goodness knows what the solicitors fees are going to be when my wife finds out
    :laugh: - you have been warned.

AND WHATEVER YOU DO TRY B4 YOU BUY

6. Mocha Dragon

Mocha Dragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replys guy's - all good stuff.

paulfd, yep a bit more research needed. Although I did have some set-ups in mind:

Yamaha RX630 (£350) with Mission M73 speaker package (~ £350 for 1 pair M73, 1 pair M7DS, M7C1i centre). Aprrox £700, leaving £300 for cables a sub and rear centre ?

Adox, you have the Missions, is the Marantz better suited to them than the Yamaha.

Have also thought about KEF eggs with the Yamaha. - wife pleasing set-up!! -sound impressive for what they are.

Wilber, I just had a look at the KEF Q's - look impressive. A question, why the Pioneer over the Marantz and Yamaha?

I have a bit of a soft spot for the Yamaha, after reading lots of rave review, and listening to a mates set-up. What's your opinions?

By the way my room is is approx 20ft long by 13 foot wide with a real wood floor and my wife doen't want to see any cable runs (looks like I'll be crawling under the floor!!) or omnious looking black boxes (she hate the Missions 761i's)

I have an obsessive compulsive nature, and with HC being my latest thing, I don't expect to be married very much longer ...:suicide:

Thanks again all..

MD

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't go wrong with Yamaha's. Lack a bit of definition, but still good reliable, bullet proof AV amps- at a good price.

Much much better than Sony AV amps.

I've had a couple of Yamaha's in the past, and listened to several Sony amps (pretty awful, couldn't drive the speakers, no current)

8. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cant comment on yamaha as i have never demo`d or heard them, but they are generally well thought of here.
    i originally had a sony receiver, but matched with the missions the sound for music was awful.
    changed to the marantz for this reason and am very happy with it.
    if you run a few searches you will get more info and opinions on various setups:smashin:
    let us know what you end up with.

9. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    In a straight fight I'd go for the Yamaha & the Pioneer - I'm not a fan of Marantz for movies & until recently I didn't think anything could touch Yamaha at this price point, I even own a 630 myself. I was forced to rethink thing recently though since the I hate black boxes syndrome struck my wife - the 630 was the only non silver item on the rack so had to go. When I went to 7oaks to source a titanium version I was introduced to the Pioneer & I must say that I was impressed. For what it is, it is a brilliant amp - sure it lacks the refinement and tweekability of its big brother (2011) but for what I want, it's great & it looks the business (see pic). The 630 has now been relegated to the kids room but I think i'm going to flog it soon as it's too damned loud :suicide:

Attached Files:

10. Mocha Dragon

Mocha Dragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Thanks for all the advice and info - I'm going to do a bit more research and get some more demo's, although I am tempted (their look) by the KEF Q's and Yamaha.

I'll let you know what I decide to go with.

Cheers,

MD