Speaker Package Help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by jay, Apr 15, 2001.

1. jay

jay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have bought a yamaha AX1 and i need a good set of speakers and sub that will do justice to it.I am only into home cinema.I would spend about 3600.00 sterling on them.I have a toshiba 46 widescreen tv and will be buying a dvd player as well.Has any one any ideas of a good speaker package.Thanks Jay

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    £3600 to spend on speakers - you lucky devil! There are loads of options and dealers should be rolling out the red carpet for you with a budget like this so take your time and audition carefully.

Anyway, here's my (M&K) suggestion:
    Front left and right - M&K S85 (£795 a pair)
    Centre - M&K S85C (£450)
    Surround - M&K Surround 55 Tripole (£699?)
    Centre Back - M&K S85C (£450)
    Sub - M&K MX125 (£1300 ish)

This little lot will blow you away and sound great with the AX1. Even better, they are good enough to deal with almost any subsequent upgrade e.g. if you go the processor/power amp route in the future they'll sound even better!

3. jay

jay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to listen to the Monitor Audio Gold Referance Series. Gold Reference 20 Gold Reference 10 ,Gold Reference Centre and rel storm 111.What do you thing about them.

4. Space

Space

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not a good idea to listen too seriously to other's speaker recommendations. Speakers are far too personal for that. I recently purchased a new pair of speakers. Before making my decision I read lots of reviews and asked for people's recommendations. In the end I ended up with a pair of speakers of a German brand (Phonar) that I never heard of. Why? Because IN MY OPINION (to my ears) their sound quality and build quality beat the cr*p out of everything else in their price range.

When you do the auditioning, listen to more speakers and not just Monitor Audio's. Make sure you audition everything in the exact same circumstances. Try to switch fast between the speakers. The differences between speakers might surprise you.

Subwoofers is just another story. There's only one brand: REL. :D Yes, the Storm III will be great to match any speaker.

Han

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I also have a set of MA speakers (the discountinued PMC series) and find them great but as the others said speakers are a very personal thing and hence those might not suit you.
    In addition to the ones mentioned (not familiar with any of them) I would also take Dynaudio into the "competition".

As for the sub I agree, too, REL would certainly be on top of the list but you could also check out Monitor Audio's ASW subs, especially if you decide for the MA package.

6. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's also not a good idea to listen to people who say that there is only one brand of subwoofer - REL. REL make some great subs - I use one myself but M&Ks MX "push-pull" series are in another league. In fact there was a speaker supplement in HCC a few months back when the reviewer of the M&K package (I think it might have been Stuart Robinson) said that the M&K MX350 sub is the best sub he's ever come across.

The Storm III is a great sub and is particularly adept at musical duties - this is why I didn't recommend it to Jay who is as he says "only into home cinema" - not that the Storm III would be bad at this - I just think that there are better options for the "home cinema only" role.

The fact that Jay is only into home cinema is also why I reckon he would be better off, certainly to start with, looking at more home cinema focused speaker packages such as M&K, Definitive Technology (recommended by Confucius) or KEF THX.

However, I agree with everyone that choosing a speaker package IS a very personal thing so it's best to listen to as many options as you can. It's also worth arranging to try out the gear at home before you buy as a package that sounds great at the dealers might not be so impressive in your room (and vice-versa).

Enjoy your auditioning.

Matt.

7. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reiner,

Do you have a MA sub ?

I have a MA Silver speaker setup and I am changing my sub. None of my local dealers do the MA subs so I have no idea how good they are. They never get reviewed and I've never heard one.

Love MA speakers. Are their subs any good ?

8. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, I have the MA ASW110. Very happy with it as it is powerfull enough, fast (switchable video/audio) and has a small footprint, besides it does look "cute".
    I auditioned the REL Q100E before, too, but could not do a 1:1 comparision as they were at different dealers.

I decided then for the MA since I bought it together with the PMC speaker package so I got a good price for the whole lot - you should have seen that happy face of the dealer ... ;)

9. Alan_W

Alan_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Gary

How do you find the MA Silvers? I auditioned the 5's and then the 8's and was well impressed.

Only problem for me is that I need speakers that will happily sit about 15 inches from the wall (wife's orders) so I am unsure about any rear ported speakers. Do you have any tips or comments on positioning the Silvers?

Alan

[ 18-04-2001: Message edited by: Alan_W ]