1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker package for Pioneer VSX-D2011?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Paul Howles, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Paul Howles

Paul Howles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Has anyone got any suggestions as to what speaker package to team up with the Pioneer VSX-D2011. I want a fully fledged 6.1 system but cannot seem to find the perfect partner for the Pioneer - which incidentally I haven't bought yet. What about the Bose Acoustimass 15 series 2 ?

2. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's fair to say you won't find that many fans of Bose products on this forum. I'm thinking of buying the 2011 too and will partner them with Anthony Gallo Nucleus Micros - I'm currently only running them in stereo and I am absolutely floored by their performance. I'll be getting the 2011 (or maybe sonething else)soonish and I'll be able to tell you about their performance then. Do a serach on Gallo NM's their are plenty of threads about them. Also look in the power buy section.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The power buy has finished for the Gallo's, but if you send Uncle Eric a PM he will most definitely help you out. ;)

If the Gallo's aren't to your liking try demoing some Polk Audios, I have a full system of Polks and they are a very fine speaker, great with both music and movies, they are crisp and clear but never too bright. There range covers bookshelfs, standmounts, floorstanders and subs, prices start from arround £150 > £2000+

Definitely worth a look. :)

Polk Audio

4. riprip

riprip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the exact same question - suitable speaker recomendations for the Pioneer. I'm looking to spend about £800 on speakers so was looking at the KEF 2005 eggs until I saw all the bad reports on this forum. Which is annoying, since my girlfriend really liked them (and not any of the floor standing ones I was looking at).

Has anyone got any suggestions for speakers to partner the Pioneer reciever in my price range? Small and aesthetically pleasing would be a bonus, but not essential - she'll have to learn to appreciate the sound rather than the look of them!

5. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi

I have the kef 2005 eggs and am really pleased with them. I was using them with a Sony 930 which gave a good sound but then put my old Yamaha 3090 into the system and they sounded much better, they seemed to like the extra power. I think kef have improved the sub recently.

I am pretty much decided on the Pioneer 2011 as well and may consider moving to the new kef 3005 system or Gallos after that.

I would be interested to know where you get the 2011 from - price / service etc. Have seen it between £700 and £800 on various websites but would like to make sure it isn't a grey import.

Happy New Year to all!

Gus

6. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after much demoing of kit i've finally bought a pioneer 757/1011 and the kef eggs.

I started off looking at a B&W 600 series 5.1 speaker setup with suitable av amp, but couldn't fit all the speakers into the lounge enviroment.

So i started looking at sub/sat packages.

Listened to the kefs with a marantz 7200 and denon 3802, and they were good, but some thing was missing. Arcam dv88 as source.

Then i listened to the jmlab sib & cub with a denon 2800mkii/3802 setup and this was the system i was going to get, better presented music than with the kefs.

But read about probs with the 2800mkii so started looking again.

Next dem was to listen to the B&W VM1's the dealer suggested the pioneer 656 and 1011. Didn't like the VM's so put the Kefs back on and they sounded alot better than i remembered

I wanted the system to be good with music so got the dealer to pop on the 757 and that was me satisfied.

Theres no difference sound wise between the 2011 and 1011 basically i think the 2011 has auto setup and air studio tuning.

I paid £630 for the 1011, which for a 7.1/thx certified amp is cracking.

Cheers
    VC

7. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    With my 2011, I've set up B&W CDM 1NTs and a CDM CNT across the front along with a Velodyne CHT-15 sub.

I couldn't afford a full B&W 7 speaker set-up so I moved my weedy panasonic speakers (came with original cheapo system) to surround duties for the present.

I am VERY happy with this amp/speaker combo. Last night, I was doing some projector set-up and ran through the THX audio set-up, just for fun. one of the tests is a 20kHz - 20Hz sweep. I listened several times and could not find the crossover point - a very smooth transition.

When I got the amp, I ran it through the auto-set-up. This worked great expect that it identified the 1NTs as large and so restricted output to the sub. I manually changed these back to small and now have (to my untrained ears) a great sound for movies and music.

(I find that he 7D surround mode on the Amp works really well and really makes good work of something like a dolby surround track like that on the Stargate DVD set).

Just my 2c.

Peter

8. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got this amp on order for a mid january delivery.

Would my b&w dm602s2 fronts, b&w dm601s2 rears and cc6 centre be ok or should i be looking elsewhere?

Also im after a small sub (for small read wife friendly) to go with them, any ideas which one.

9. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    vee_cee - what are your impressions of the 1011 - presumably the sound is exactly the same as the 2011? And what about the manual MCACC what's all that about?

I'm tending towards the 2011 despite the rather large price differential (and I want a black amp rather than silver) purely based upon the Auto MCACC and the remote control. IYO worth it?

10. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dazed - if you want a black amp then it will have to be the 1011 see here

Haven't set my kit up yet, xmas decs to come down tonight and decorating to do this weekend, then install av kit.

According to the dealer the 2011 and 1011 sound then same, i only listened to the 1011.

The 1011 is a cracking amp and was the best match i could find to go with the Kef eggs, as the eggs require a bit of power to drive them, which the 1011 has more than enough.

Cheers
    VC

11. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers VC

Interested to hear your impressions when you get it all set up. I realise thaty the 2011 only comes in silver (wonder why?) but I am swayed by the Auto MCACC and don't quite understand what Manual MCACC is - I thought the whole point was that MCACC is automatic?

Another point I noticed was that there is a 1.4kg differnce between the two models - if the difference is purely a bit of electronica to process the auto-MCACC then surely this would not equate to a 1.4kg weight differential.

I'd rather pay about £500 than about £700 but feel myself inexorably drawn towards the 2011 - either that or SR7300+stereo amp

12. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    D'oh! VC - just checked your equipment list - I've just missed the chance to pick up the 32ZD26 for £700 - G-U-T-T-E-D

13. Martin Gibson

Martin Gibson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at reviews of the 2011 amp and then managed to fine it advertised for £599 at www.techtronics.com (look under AV summary).

Since this place has a shop, it might be also handy for price matching.

Has anyone seen it any cheaper.

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Plus Vat

15. dtsrules

dtsrules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not cheaper but it's £700 at sound and vision bolton.

16. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    pioneer vsx-d 2011 £690 delivered at unbeatable.com
    gonzo.

17. Paul Howles

Paul Howles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the feedback. This has got to be one of the friendliest sites I've seen. With all this new info my original question is almost obsolete. I'll have to go to the show at Bristol next month and listen to a few demos. Thanks again. Paul.

18. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I'd suggest a demo of the B&W VM1's, but get a different sub to the packaged one (you can buy the VM1's at £125 each). I'm partnering mine with a REL Q150 and they really are superb. I much prefer them to the KEF eggs - although as vee_cee states he prefer the KEF's this just demonstrates the importance of demoing the kit and deciding for yourself....

5 VM1's and, say a Velodyne CHT-10, would set you back £950 or thereabouts.

:)

19. Paul Howles

Paul Howles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. Living in North Somerset it's not always easy to audition the latest kit - or even the old kit for that matter, but I definately will get a listen to the VM1's. Will they be demonstrating them at next months Bristol show?:)