Speaker or AVR upgrade first ??

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
So I spoke with Bk this afternoon, the P12 are waiting on speaker parts around 5 weeks and the price is more than likely going to go up due to new shipping cost. They suggested the Double gem with a 2 week lead time (above) but I'd prefer a DF for aesthetics.

Are there any other DF subs in white recommended in a similar price bracket.??

No DF and nothing in the 400£ range that would be comparable performance wise to P12. Next white compact sub would be SVS SB1000 about 560£ if you get AVF member discount. Clearly over your budget.

SVS-SB-1000-LE.jpg

2865173-74fe5dcc-svs-sb-1000-subwoofer-pair-gloss-white-like-new.jpg

Injury20

Do you think I would I be disappointed with the XLS200 -df which has the 10" speaker as they have those available

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Do you think I would I be disappointed with the XLS200 -df which has the 10" speaker as they have those available
I don´t see the point as you aren´t size restricted. P12 minium as you have decent sized room and 5.1.4 system. It doesn´t make any sense to build nice atmos system and then buy tiny cheap sub. Spend as much as you can. You won´t regret it. 5week wait is horrible though. :( Shame you can`t opt for BK Monolith DF, i think it would be available within week but price 490£.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
you're right @Gasp3621 Just looking at the monolith, looks like they are available to order, shall i stretch the budget how much better is it

It was my original recommendation after seeing your room and system so if you can afford then by all means spend the extra! Mono has been very popular since 2005 or so. We have 3? Monolith owners thread here too if you want to check owners thoughts.

Not many reviews and it has changed little bit from this time: http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/Monolith Review.pdf

password1

You could ask bk if they could mount the amp on the side of the doible gem and turn it into df. They could use 4 or 6 of the feet from the gemini 2 or any feet and do without the grille.

If the subs are made to order and hand built i dont see why it cant be done, or just ask them to mount the amp on the side instead of the back, sell it without the grille and put some feet on yourself.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Not worth saving 100£ if Monolith is within budget. It will wipe the floors with Double Gem. For a reason it has been such popular and still is for those who can fit it.

Injury20

I need a breathalyser fitted to my laptop, I've just finished watching my team beat Leeds had a couple of beers so in a good mood, and now thinking what the hell this lockdown has saved a fortune in going out, lets go for the monolith. I'm off to get my tape measure to make sure it will fit.

Will it need to be positioned in the corner of the room for best results?

password1

The bk p12 is still a great sub, another reason to go for the p12 is that it has an auto on/of feature

The mono doesn't have an auto on/off which may an issue for some people having to reach the back of the sub everytime to turn it on and off.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I need a breathalyser fitted to my laptop, I've just finished watching my team beat Leeds had a couple of beers so in a good mood, and now thinking what the hell this lockdown has saved a fortune in going out, lets go for the monolith. I'm off to get my tape measure to make sure it will fit.

Will it need to be positioned in the corner of the room for best results?

Corner or between your main and center channel. You have good eq with the Denon so it shouldn´t sound boomy in corner either. Definitely would be best spent 500£ for long time. You had woofer from some HTIB system if i saw correct. In that case it´s going to be very dramatic difference when you put latest bluray blockbuster flick on. And you still get white DF cabinet so win-win.

Injury20

No luck on the monolith either mid to end of March boooo, any other brands i could be looking at which will pack a decent punch for music and movies in the same price bracket. Must be white and prefer down firing if an option.

thanks

password1

This is the only decent subwoofer in white and is DF i can find that is available without waiting to be made.

There is also the xls400 in white but its FF.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
No luck on the monolith either mid to end of March boooo, any other brands i could be looking at which will pack a decent punch for music and movies in the same price bracket. Must be white and prefer down firing if an option.

thanks

Did they say why it`s pushed so far back, missing drivers for this one too? They have battled the issues since last year March, maybe some changes would be in order. Shame.

So what about BK XXLS400 DF in white? Do they have these available? The site allows to put them in to basket.

Not really anything close your budget. XTZ 12.17 Edge would be good choice but around 600£ or bit more with shipping and if further costs due to brexit.

The problem is the finish, most are black and DF model as most subwoofers on market are forward firing aswell! SVS PB1000 would have been ideal at 519£ otherwise..

Injury20

@Gasp3621 uses the same speaker as the other one which they are waiting on to be shipped unfortunately

@password1 i'm leaning towards that XLS200, ok its a 10" driver instead of 12" but beats my old 5" in my argos kit i've had the last 20 years...

To be honest that XLS is back to my preferred budget, If I wanted to upgrade at a later date would I be able to add a second of these subs to work together (I have 2 sub connections on my Denon AVR)

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Gasp3621 uses the same speaker as the other one which they are waiting on to be shipped unfortunately

@password1 i'm leaning towards that XLS200, ok its a 10" driver instead of 12" but beats my old 5" in my argos kit i've had the last 20 years...

To be honest that XLS is back to my preferred budget, If I wanted to upgrade at a later date would I be able to add a second of these subs to work together (I have 2 sub connections on my Denon AVR)
Jeez! It seems they are missing the Monolith Plus Eminence driver too. "Temporarily out of production". They come from US.

I would think carefully cause you are going to regret if making rushed decision. Would be better to wait. Did you ask for XXLS400-DF? This uses Peerless driver which should be in stock. At least the site lets you add it in basket.
XXLS400-DF

You get smoother response when placed ideally in your room with the 2nd XLS200, but they won´t dig any deeper. That´s the main issue with the tiny model. You missing the fun deep stuff which Mono would be able to play with authority! Your room doesn´t look small either.

In this order for movies:

Monolith
P12-PR
XXLS400

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
The room is 3.5 x 4.5 meters

No problem! @Ultrasonic had Monolith in similar size room if i remember correct and below member has one in 3x3,3 room. Sure he has miniDSP too, but anyway just to show you it ain`t issue. You won´t regret having larger sub that drops your jaw on floor when the Godzilla crashes through city, but you will with high certainty think about what it could have been if you save and go with smaller one. At least consider the XXLS400 DF model if they can build one for you asap!

Last edited:

Injury20

I guess you're right but I'm impatient I want, I want, I want :D:D:D

I have emailed them back to check what they do have available, and go from there as it's possible the prices may go up when the new drivers finally arrive due their extra shipping to get them.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I guess you're right but I'm impatient I want, I want, I want :D:D:D

I have emailed them back to check what they do have available, and go from there as it's possible the prices may go up when the new drivers finally arrive due their extra shipping to get them.

Good. Let´s hope they respond tomorrow, if not then call again cause they are bit lazy to respond emails normally.

Injury20

Done, Just ordered the Monolith DF and will have to wait a few weeks for it to come. My next question will be anybody live near Worcester who can come and calibrate my whole system for me please???

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Done, Just ordered the Monolith DF and will have to wait a few weeks for it to come. My next question will be anybody live near Worcester who can come and calibrate my whole system for me please???
We can help you with that too. :) It`s not hard as your Denon has step by step on-screen setup and you will just place the mic optimally using the cardboard stand it came with. Room must be 100% silent then. Watch this 9min short video and you will be already lot wiser. After you have run it there is few things we need to look from menus and change. Not a biggie! Just put a heads up when you get it. Oh man can´t wait to hear your thoughts after some good LFE heavy bluray movie! :clap: Mono is going to push the system to another level!

Injury20

So after a long (hopefully worth it) wait my monolith is on route and should be here by Monday, can anybody give me a quick guide to set up please, I see lots of knobs and settings on the back??

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
bk-monolith-inkl-schieferplatte_521297.jpg

Mono+ amp, but i assume both have same knobs.

• Phase to 0
  • Frequency knob to LFE (it might click)
  • Any high level knobs not in use
  • Low level gain = volume knob *
  • Connect sub cable to either Right input

You probably putting the sub in the front left corner. Anyway then you will run Audussey select that you have subwoofer. Now when the XT32 on-screen setup asks you to match the subwoofer level to speakers it gives you reading there, turn the low level knob* to have roughly 78db reading. Don´t panic if it gives you warning (green to red area) just accept it and move forward. You can do 3mic position Audussey first to test how it all sounds, later the fully 8positions after you have found good spot etc. When Audussey ends it shows you the levels, the subwoofer level is what you should be looking. If it comes back around -8db or so it`s fine and just what we want so you can make further changes from the receiver rather than running turning the knobs. So no more touching the knobs ever again after Audussey. We do the changes with that "subwoofer level". If it sounds bit bass light go to menu and change the -8db (example) figure to -4db or what ever you feel is needed (3-6db boost typically). Put some bluray movie with dts hd ma / dolby true hd soundtrack and you should be smiling.. :) Keep us posted how it goes and ask if something comes up.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Grado introduces Prestige X Series headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Amazon in talks to acquire MGM Studios
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney to close Fox Channel in UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
LG Display showcases OLED display technology at online SID 2021