1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker options for Denon DM31

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Skull Cowboy, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m after a Micro HiFi system for my Son’s room and have decided on the Denon DM31. I can either buy this with or without speakers. Are the speakers supplied with the DM31 (which I understand are Mission SC-M51is) OK or should I get it without speakers and add something like the Mission M71i which would come to about the same price? The SC-M51s supplied with the DM31 don’t look like the Mission M51i that can be bought separately (which cost as much as the complete system!). Thanks for any advice.

2. Henders

Henders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ironically, i've just been playing with the Denon, which arrived last night. I am very impressed with the speakers, very good build for a micro system. Proper binding posts on the back aswell i think (although spring clips on the unit). According to a What Hi-Fi review (so take it with a pinch of salt) denon and mission tailored the speakers to work optimally with that unit. I would get it with the speakers, and wack them on some stands, such as mission's stancette. http://www.avland.co.uk/mission/stancette/index.htm

3. nsherin

nsherin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Also try the Mission m70s or the m30s. Both are excellent speakers - I run m70s with a Yamaha receiver and am pleased with the result. Also use some decent cable - QED Original at £2 - 2.50/metre is pretty good stuff.

4. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I think I'll pop down to my local HiFi store and have a play!

5. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i reckon the M50 are worth the investment going for less than their £200RRP at the momment.

6. ciber

ciber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    acoustic energy AE301

7. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +734
    Running my dm31 with some old gale 4 floorstanders - sounds great.

8. Skull Cowboy

Skull Cowboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I’ve now bought it from Richer sounds without any speakers, as they don’t sell it as a complete package. This still leaves me with the decision of what speakers to get and, being a cheapskate, I don’t really want to spend much more than £60. Richer are advertising the Mission M71i
    that I mentioned in my first post for £59.99 which is obviously spot on price wise but I don’t know what they sound like and anyway they haven’t got any in stock! I think I’ll lend my son my old Kef Coda III’s and try the Missions when Richer get hold of some.