• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker options c £800

shelfsider

Established Member
Im looking to upgrade my surround setup but am struggling with regards to speaker choice. To further complicate matters Ive always struggled with the tech behind speakers and as such have always skirted past the reviews of them and so come to this with little past knowledge.

Ive had a look round and have seen several recommendations for the tannoy arenas but not only do I do instinctively dislike the look of them I find myself wanting something a little more substantial for my money.

Im probably gonna pair them with an onkyo 607 receiver and will run the usual stuff through them, blu ray via ps3, xbox gaming, dvd playback and have essentially decided Im comfortable with spending £800 on top of the receiver.

So, after all that the question would be what sort of options are there and what would you guys recommend?

Im looking to upgrade my surround setup but am struggling with regards to speaker choice. To further complicate matters Ive always struggled with the tech behind speakers and as such have always skirted past the reviews of them and so come to this with little past knowledge.

Ive had a look round and have seen several recommendations for the tannoy arenas but not only do I do instinctively dislike the look of them I find myself wanting something a little more substantial for my money.

Im probably gonna pair them with an onkyo 607 receiver and will run the usual stuff through them, blu ray via ps3, xbox gaming, dvd playback and have essentially decided Im comfortable with spending £800 on top of the receiver.

So, after all that the question would be what sort of options are there and what would you guys recommend?

You can get the Monitor Audio bronze 5.1 package for about £800 witch is an excellent buy 5 STARS by WHAT HI-FI

shelfsider

Established Member
Thanks for that. Ive actually been looking in a slightly different direction this afternoon. Namely teufel. Stumbled across a review in hcc and subsequently had a look at their website.

The LT2 system is looking very attractive(Well actually i was trying to convince myself to the get the columa 900 of the original review but I failed).
I will confess a good chunk of that is down to the aesthetics and Im a little disturbed at the importance Im placing on them given the lack a need for waf to be a consideration, but nevertheless having done a bit of research they do tend to be a well regarded company and Im inching towards placing an order.

That is unless some1 comes up with some alternatives in the meantime.

EDIT: Ive actually now swung round to the lt3 though that doesnt appear to have the potential 7.1 upgrade advantage(which may become an issue. Not so sure now.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom