1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Newbie.. Help..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Damox, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Damox

Damox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys just bought an Infinity Oreus 5.1 System but it doesn't have speaker cables with it.. So I bought 15metres worth of QED silver anniversary speaker cable the thing is do i need to connect the speakers to the Subwoofer which has somewhere to put the banana style cable? I have a New Amp but I can't fit them in that??

It's a HK 5550. If I plug all the speakers into the subwoofer do i just connect lfe connect to the Receiver?

All are there RCA plug ends?

Or is therean RCA on one end and standard banana plug on the other end cables I can get and from where??

2. Damox

Damox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh wait more info.. The speaker connects are the ones which screw in and have a gap each side..

hmm LOL do I put the speaker cable horizontal and screw the plug in? each side has metal on it so I guess that's it.. hmm

Can you tell i'm a noob?

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    You should have an lfe or sub out on your av amp for your subwoofer. You need a sub connector to link the amp to the subwoofer something like this:-

http://www.avland.co.uk/ixos/1081/

yes you can use the screws to connect your speakers or if you can remove the bungs from your speaker/amp binding posts you may be able to use banna plugs.

4. Damox

Damox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes just realsied that when you unscrew the plugs - I thought you had to vertical insert the banana plus wehre the screw hole is - LOL - Instead of just horizontally sliding it do it touches the metal area of the connector and THEN screw it in so both metal parts touch the banana plug.. LOL and thx will have to buy a subwoofer connector as well..

I would have expected this included though with the Infinity Oreus HCS 5.1? Is this the norm for Standalone speaker sets?

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Unfortunately you do tend to have to buy interconnects and speaker cable since most manufacturers don't supply and if they do it's substandard cheapo stuff. If you buy the equipment from a dealer you can generally negotiate either free cabling or get at least a sizable reduction.