speaker mounting.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by luke31, Jan 24, 2008.

1. luke31

luke31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I hope this is in the right place:cool:, i have just bought the panasonic scpt850 with four tower speakers....the question is, i would like to mount the rear speakers on the wall and i am not sure what brackets to use:confused:

This is the system http://www.cms-aberdeen.com/images/HomeCinemaSystems/SCPT850.jpg

would anything like this be ok http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222640&&source=14&doy=24m1

http://www.avbracket.co.uk/product_5-2-2_BT5-Universal-Speaker-Wall-Mount---Black.htm

or do i need something else?
    Many thanks.

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    Well, first, both mounting brackets that you cited have a 5 kg weight limit (11 pounds); is that consistent with the speakers you have?

Second, what are your speaker cabinets made out of? Remember you are going to have to drill into them, so the cabinets are going to have to be solid enough to hold there own weight by those drilled holes. If the cabinets are plastic, depending on where you connect the speaker to the bracket, the cabinet material might not be able to take the stress.

Also, you are going to need to know that you are not drilling into the internal crossovers or the wiring.

Third, where are you going to drill into your speakers - top, middle, bottom, other? Again, this relates to how much and where the mount stress is placed on the cabinets.

Next, you will have to mount these bracket into wall studs (2x4). I don't think they will hold if you simply drill holes and mount them in sheetrock/wallboard or plaster.

Finally, are you sure you can't just set them on some stands?

Steve/bluewizard

3. luke31

luke31
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They have already got holes in the back and it does say you can wall mount them but I just wanted to know what would be best to hold them to the wall which is plaster board.
    Thanks

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,195
    The Maplin looks like the speaker mount bracket holes can either be vertical or horizontal, so it seems the most versatile of the two.

On the AV-Bracket unit, the screw is off center so I assume this can only be a horizontal mount.

If the holes in your speakers are horizontal then either one of these should work fine if your speakers are within the weight limit.

As to fastening them to JUST plaster or wallboard, that is touch and go, it might be OK, but I think you need to mount them ridged, which means you need to find the vertical boards behind the wall board and mount the brackets to those.

If your walls are sheetrock/wallboard, a $10 Stud Finder should tell you exactly where those vertical boards are. If your walls are plaster-over-lath then you are going to need a better quality Stud Finder, though still relatively cheap.

Perhaps you have a friend who is a handyman or a carpenter who already has a Stud Finder who might be willing to come over and mark the locations of the studs with a pencil. If not, perhaps a local handyman hardware store might rent you a stud finder.

At any rate, I suspect it is important to mount to solid wood behind the wall.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard