Speaker mounting and positioning.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by planbeta, Jun 24, 2002.

1. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello, I have a question concering speaker placement!

At present I am probably looking to buy these:

KEF Q3 fronts
    KEF Q1 surrounds
    KEF Q9c centre

The sitting area in my room is all the way up against the wall in a room 12x10 feet ie. no space behind the viewer.

First off can you wall mount Q1's on plasterboard wall?

If so, where's the best place to position them with this in mind - would it be the back wall or the side walls and what angle to the viewer?

Also because of the seating would this make ut unrealistic to go 7.1 even with flat speakers (like the Q8) as rears?

Cheers!

2. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Hi

You´d need to get some speaker brackets to mount the Q1´s then you can angle the speakers up, down, left, right etc to fine tune the sound. I´m sure there are special screws etc for plasterboard but you´d have to check that.

As your sofa is right up against the rear wall you´d be best to try the speakers directly to the sides and firing at your listening position.

To be honest you really need some depth between the side surrounds and the surround backs to get the best effect, the Q8´s are easier to place as they are´nt very deep, might be worth trying before you buy. Its possible to increase the effect by playing around with the surround delays for the surround back channels but ideally you need the depth behind you.

Cheers

3. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Jase - just as I thought!

I may have about a 1 - 1.5 ft of space I can play with.

If I put 1 ft of space between the rears and the listener, and posistion the back surrounds inbetween the rears and the listener (i.e 1/2 a ft from either) and point them at the listener, do you think this would be acceptable?

Or should I just stick with 5.1?

Cheers!

4. Electric Mayhem

Electric Mayhem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    You could try it, see if you can get the dealer to let you have a pair of speakers to try, or ask if they´ll take them back for a refund if it doesnt work.

You´ll need to play with the positioning of the surround backs to get the best sound, place them close together (which works best in my setup) or further apart, which may suit your room better. Sometimes the brain confuses sound that comes from behind you, and it actually sounds as though its coming from infront of you, weird but true. Getting the placement of the surround backs wrong can totally bugger up the rear surround stage & effects.

Experimenting is the key to getting it all sounding right, just try not to make too many holes in the wall!!:eek: :)

5. planbeta

planbeta
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sometimes my brain confuses me!

Thanks for the advice! :cool: