1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker mishmash

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Techno, May 7, 2004.

1. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've currently got 5 Gallos micros, and was planning on picking up an MS 309 sub this weekend to replace my existing Eltax sub.

I'm wondering whether I should get a 'proper' centre speaker rather than the micro, this would have the added bonus of freeing up the current centre to give 6.1.

I'm not prepared to pay £500 for the Gallo Dué so had thought about the MS 304, but unfortunately it's too big.

Any ideas of a small centre that would match up sound wise and could perhaps be mainly hidden under a plasma - or perhaps I could have 2 slim ones on either side, again mainly hidden.

Thanks

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    the MS304 is relativly tiny compared to most centers. The only problem is that the only thing that will be totally tonaly compatible with your Gallo's is another product from the same range or company.

The 309 will be a huge improvement over the eltax sub as i have just bought a premiere plus system myself :D

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I don't blame you.

Much as I don't really like the Gallo speakers I don't think that a centre from a different manufacturer would be a good idea. Have a think instead about the A'Diva which is slightly larger than the Micro but matches them tonally.

4. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, thanks Ian and Dfour.

Think I'll get the 309 sub then see whether I need the centre. If I do then A'Diva here I come..... or maybe I'll go back to plan B and sell the Gallos... Decisions, decisions.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    The 309 won't have an issue matching the Gallo's- we resisted the temptation to make it one trick pony that only works with our own gear- it is efficient up to its maximum crossover of 150hz. I would not consider the 304 a satisfactory solution to your centre speaker dilemma however- even if it did fit. The centre is very important to your soundstage so I'd bite the bullet and go for the A'Diva.

6. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your input Tons.

I've just reserved the 309 at RS, can't wait so 80 mile trip to collect it tomorrow because none available locally.

She'll go mad:devil:

After what you and Ian have said, I think I will probably go for the A'Diva - wonder if anyone will take an hardly used micro in PX:)

7. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What a difference:clap:

MS 309 is superb, I'm sure more is to come from setting it up properly but change is unreal.

I'm probably going to hand fire on the centre for now because the sub has made that much difference.

Very pleased, thanks guys.

8. Techno

Techno
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I thought I'd post an update for the benefit of anybody finding this on a search in the future.

Despite being really pleased with the result follwing the addition of the MS Sub, I still had the urge for a proper centre so in a moment of madness I bought a Due......... which I returned the next day! There was no appreciable benefit over having the Micro as the centre.

I tried loads of settings, small, large, bass and treble changes, room size etc etc and nothing convinced me that it was worth the extra money.

At one point I was swapping between the Due and Micro and asking the missus to guess which was playing, she got it wrong on a number of attempts and most of the time just guessed!

At least it is out of my system now and I can sit back an actually enjoy what I've got!

When i first mentioned Gallos Micros, Ian made the point about allowing budget for a sub and that was so true. The sub brought the Micros alive, without it they were very dissapointing.

Thanks

Techno.