1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker matching

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rulocal, Jan 16, 2003.

1. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I am thinking about adding Home Cinema to my two channel system, as below, but don't want to got to the expense of matching the Quads. I would happily get the Quad L-centre if necessary but was looking for views on the improtance of tonal matching, generally. Could I for example get away with Kef Eggs/B&W VM1s as centre and or rears?

Arcam A85
    Marantz CD6000KI
    Quad 11ls

To be added

Marantz SR4200/Yamaha DSPAx620 etc (Arcam attached to Front preouts)

Toshiba SD 220E/ Pioneer dv350 etc

Anyone willing to share experiences with mix and match setups would they please step forward. In fact any comments about 'matching' or the other proposed equioment would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Paul

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Tonal matching of the front three speakers in a home cinema soundstage is as important as matching the left and right speaker in a stereo system.

Sticking a Kef egg in between two Quad speakers would be as much a missmatch as if you ran a stereo system with one Quad and one egg.

You can get away with far more at the rear and I have M&K speakers at the front and Mission at the back. It is mainly bullets and sound effects that go from front to back but it is speech and music that pans around the front.

3. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks, that seems logical.

4. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rulocal

I recently went through a change-out to my front soundstage. I had a set of Q35.2's for L & R but could'nt get a centre to match (for the right price anyway). I tried several different centres even going with the same brand a Kef Egg (which I was told would match!!) but IMHO it sounded awful weak and shrill.

I bit the bullet and forked out a £100 for a s/h Q95.2, some would say a bargain in itself, and wow what a difference the front end is now seemless panning from side to side with no appreciable difference.

If you can go for a matching centre IMHO.

Regards

7ThGuest :)

5. rulocal

rulocal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    7thGuest, do you have matching rears? If not are you happy with the cohesion of the surround sound.

6. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rulocal,

As a matter of fact yes I do, in so much that all the rears are the same, I know this is probably over the top and most people would say 'why bother'.

However, the way I look at it is, yes the rears are only used in a supporting role but, when a train/plane etc goes from left to centre to right I don't want it changing half an octave on each speaker unless it's supposed to.

I must admit I have also been very lucky (thanks in the main to petrolhead and a bit of judicious haggling) in so much that I managed to purchase/beg/steal/borrow 4 Monitor Audio Baby Boomers for surround duties for the princely sum of £100 - bargain or what :D

At present I am running 5.1 but hopefully on Friday I will be going to 6.1 and will still have a quality spare for my upgrade to 7.1 ;)

Regards

7ThGuest :)