1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker matching

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Big Jim, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am in the (painful) process of deciding on speakers for my first HC system.

As far as I understand, the main L/R's and the centre should be tonally matched (ie speakers from the same range), but what about the rears? should they be matched, or is it just a case of whatever comes to hand?

My current plan is buy over a period of time, with a pair of floorstanders coming first to get things going, with a matching centre arriving as and when. Finally proper rears will replace a nasty pair of midi system speakers that are lying around.

My current cunning plan/short list is one of the following:

Mission 773e with a 77c1
    Yamaha NS-200 and NS-C200
    Mission m73 and m7c

any thoughts on those - or other suggestions?

For rears I'm stuck, but they have to be wallmountable

cheers

Jim

[This message has been edited by Big Jim (edited 20-12-2000).]

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to say - the speakers are being used with a Yammy DSP-A5, Marantz CD-53 and a Homecinema PC...

Assuming Letsbebent.com ever get round to delivering the A5 of course - its only 2 months since I ordered it... [​IMG]

Jim

[This message has been edited by Big Jim (edited 20-12-2000).]

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ideally match all 5; if you can't, for budgetary or aesthetic reasons, then make sure that at least the front three are tonally matched.

4. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers will be going into a small and distinctly non dedicated living room (6m x 3m ish room, with 2.5m x3m space for sitting/telly/dvds/dreamcast - The joys of living in a small 1 bed London maisonette.

My 'TV' sofa is hard up against the wall so rears will have to be wall mounted

For rears I was going to go with the matching mission ones, but I'm a bit stuck about what to put with the Yams. (assuming I go for them after I've had a listen to all of the above)

Any thoughts on the relative merits of bi/di-poles and monoples for use as rears? (especially when wall mounted above the listener on the rear wall)

Jim