1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker makes a "bang" noise...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Debs67, Apr 9, 2005.

1. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    When I'm watching a DVD and I fast forward or change chapter,my front speakers make a bang or a hard thud sound. :eek:
    My fronts are Diamond 9.5's (30-24khz) and I have the crossover on my receiver (Yamaha RXV-650) set at 80hz.
    This is not heard in my subwoofer or surround speakers and only happens while watching DVD's.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks.

EDIT: Ok,I think I sorted it! :rolleyes:

2. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget it,I think it's sorted! ;)

3. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What was it? What caused the banging?

4. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was wrong,it isn't sorted...it only happens when I forward scenes that have alot of bass in them.
    I'm trying to work it out,as noone seems to be able to help!
    Debs

5. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How high is your volume level, when you change chapters or Forward scenes?

Are really pumping a lot of juice into those speakers?

Maybe when you forward a scene with a lot of bass, it's causing a huge leap in volume or dynamics?

6. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you must be right.The volume is high,but not ear-splitting! When I listen to the DVD's at a loud volume,the sound is not distorted,it's very clear.I would have expected the speakers to bang if the sound was already distorted or I was pushing it!? :confused:

I suppose I'll just have to be careful! I've done so much experimenting with diff. settings etc,but the bangs still happen and infact the only thing that does stop it,is lowering the volume dramatically! :thumbsdow

Thanks for your interest!
    Debs :smashin:

7. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi there Debs,

Sorry to hear about your problem and I have no advice to give you on the matter, the reason I write is because I am really interested in your speakers. The diamond 9.5's. I have read absolutely nothing on them because there are no reviews in English anywhere so can you let us know what they are like please. Did you compare them to anything else when you bought them? Please post a review on them as I am sure I am not the only person interested in the new diamond range. I have the new SW150 subwoofer and am delighted with it, I want to add to it with more wharfedale speakers so would really appreciate your opinion. Ronan

8. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Debs67,

Have you contacted Wharfedale (IAG) about this banging problem? If so, what did they say?

If not, I would contact them immediately. This banging thing does not sound normal. I could see if you were turning the volume up......to ridiculous levels, but this should not be happening just because you turn your volume up..a little loud.

Give them a call. In my experience here in the States, Wharfedale (IAG) have been very helpful and have great customer service.

9. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Is this banging only happening when you are actioning something on the DVD e.g. changing chapter, fast forwarding etc ? Or does it happen in the course of normal uninterupted playback ?

I suspect the following:
    Most DVD players keep the digital stream open to the AV amp even when that stream is empty i.e. changing chapters, FF etc. These DVD players don't cause any problems.
    However, some DVD players kill the digital stream if no signal is present on it (like changing chapters). This means that when you change chapters (on the DVD) the AV amp will briefly lose its digital lock to the DVD player. You'll then get a click (or thump) through the system as the AV amp re-establishes lock. It's typical (but not always) for the AV amp manufacturer to put a muting circuit on-board to surpress these thumps - the mute circuit is programmed to engage when lock is lost and then to disengage shortly after lock is re-established. This gets rid of the thump.

So, I suspect that you have a DVD player that kills the stream when no signal is present (like jumping chapter), and an AV amp with no muting circuit for the thump that's generated when a digital device achieves a lock on another.

The only way to be sure here is for you to test it. Do the test slowly, so that there's enough time for the lock to be on/off i.e. wait a couple of seconds between each button press.

Speakers cannot just randomly bang of their own accord (unless they are hitting their end-stops by being played too loud), they can only respond to signals sent to them. If this banging is only happening on the L+R speakers, then try temporarily putting one of the none-banging speakers on the L or R to establish that the fault is earlier in the chain.

I've experienced this a couple of times before, and the only solution was to change the DVD player to one that always keeps the stream open (if a disc is in the drawer), or swap to an AV amp that has a muting circuit for locks. It's a spec that either manufacture won't publish - you'll just have to try the items.

Anyhow, let us know how you get on with the slow changing chapter test.

10. NMyTree

NMyTree
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, good stuff Lost Cause!

I've never experienced any of this banging problem, but that may be for the reasons you mentioned. I didn't know about this "muting circuit lock" feature.

I love to learn something new. Thanks!

Yes Debs67, please let us know how it goes and what happens. I'm very interested (and hoping) in that you find a solution.

11. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow! You learn something new everyday!
    NMytree.thanks,I'll ley you all know how I get on!
    I have sent an email to Wharfedale in England (I'm in Greece) and hope they may beable to help? :rolleyes:
    Lost Cause,it only happens while changing chapters or rewinding and fast winding.
    Changing the amp and DVDR is not possible,I just got them!
    I'm not sure what you mean about slowly testing? Even if I press once the forward or back button there is a thump! I haven't even tried flicking through the chapters quickly!
    I'll try putting another speaker at the front and see if it happens!
    Thanks for all the info!! WOW! :clap:
    Ronan Morgan I didn't test them,that's so too advanced for Greek A/V shops!! I went with a make I knew and trusted and that's it!
    The sound is very good and they look great!
    I have a small living room,so I really do feel like I'm in a cinema as the sound fills the room!
    When I've finshed tweaking,I'll write a review,it won't be very technical mind! :rotfl:

Well,thanks alot mates :smashin:
    Watch this spot! ;)
    Debs

12. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well,I got a reply from Wharfedale today who said it didn't sound like a speaker problem,but a DVD problem.So Lost Cause seems to have hit the nail on the head! And he'd pass on my problem to another tech. who is more in the know for that sort of thing!
    I didn't get the chance to change over a speaker to see if it did it to a different speaker...but...I did come across however, a setting on my receiver which only has an effect during Dolby digital and DTS playbacks,called Dynamic range.This was set at max and when I changed that to Standard,half the bass seemed to disapear! The bang was still there but less hard,then on Minimum,with hardly any bass,it was just a tiny click!
    But,only at max (the recommended setting) is there good full sound!
    What to do? :confused:
    Do I keep the Max setting,have all my speakers set to small,set a high crossover to get rid of the bass from my fronts and just turn up my subwoofer?! :eek: :confused:
    I see tweaking days a head of me!
    I did some today,but kids and football are getting in the way!!! :rolleyes:
    Any thoughts are welcome!!!
    Debs ;)

13. Jules Tohpipi

Jules Tohpipi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    OK, so the little chapter test you've completed seems to indicate that the problem is as described as above i.e. it's a digital thump generated by the AV amplifier as it locks onto a digital signal.

What I'm somewhat perplexed about is that you are not getting more of these thumps. In theory you should get one each time the amp locks onto a digital signal e.g. when you put a DVD in the drawer and hit play - shortly after there should be a thump, as the amp locks onto the signal for the first time. So are you getting any bangs through the system when a disc first starts to play ? Nonetheless, I'm fairly confident that the problem has been identified.

BTW, I only suggested doing the test slowly to ensure that there was enough time for the amp to lose/regain lock. If you did it quickly enough, then this might not happen.

Yes, the impact of the bang will be greatly reduced if you turn the 'Dynamic Range' control down to minimum. The dynamic range control is there to reduce the volume level of a loud sound (such as a bang) - so I'm not surprised it cures the problem ! However, you don't want to be running your amp at minimum, because you will be robbing yourself of the full dynamic range of the film.

There's no point in adjusting the crossover, because you'll just get the thump out of the subwoofer instead.

If this problem is what I think it is (listen to see if you get a thump at the beginning of discs too, as a double confirmation), then I would be tempted to return the DVD player and AV amp to the dealer and say that they do this i.e. the bang. Make them listen to it for themselves in their own shop if necessary. Then negotiate with the dealer for a swap to an alternative DVD player or AV amp, as the current combination are clearly producing an unacceptable result. If the bang is as severe as you say it is, then any reasonable dealer will do the swap. Try it on their (identical) demonstration stock items also, to confirm that this is not a fault with just your items, but an inherent fault with the combination. And good luck !

Edit: If you are only getting a bang on the Left and Right speakers (rather than through all), then it may be that there's a fault with the L+R mute circuit in your own particular amplifier ??

14. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply! :smashin:
    I only get the bang when skipping the DVD during loud scenes,at no other times.
    Someone else has suggested to me that it's probably the DVD player?
    As for changing the equipment or letting them hear it!!! :rotfl:

Sorry,but I live in Greece in a small town and what you suggest unfortunately is not an option!! :( Though I wish it were! I know if I were in England I'd certainly be trying to sort it out!

So looks like I'm stuck with it!!! :(
    I've still got to try placing a different speaker up front to see what happens.
    Also,maybe playing a really bassy CD in the DVD and see what happens!
    It's a pain as the system has great sound during DVD's etc and I love it. :clap:
    I will have to learn to lower the volume when I skip the discs!!! :rolleyes:
    Thanks again!
    Debs :D