1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker loss of performance.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Stereo Steve, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have some Ruark Epilogue R bookshelf speakers as surrounds. I used to use them as mains and they are fantastic hifi speakers. About 2 months ago I auditioned an Audiolab power amp using just them and it sounded great but of late, I've got the feeling that the surround element in my system was severly muffled, especially noticable on multi channel SACD. I felt it may be the rear channels of my AX5i at fault.

A short while ago I was trying a power amp that turned out to be faulty and one of the speakers (only one I think) emmited a loud buzz when I turned the amp on.

This evening I hooked them up to the front left and right terminals of the AX5 to try them as stereo speakers and they sounded dreadful, all boxed in and muffled. Both exhibited this behavoir. They are definately nowhere near how they used to be.

So, have I damaged them in some way? What would happen if I had blown the tweeters?

If I have, what's my best course of action? I it possible to get hold of the parts myself?

Also, is it possible that spending a lot of idle time as surrounds has somehow caused them to 'ceaze up'? I discounted this one but have an open mind.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    You can easily check your tweeters, just stick your ear to them and see if they are producing any sound, try with a track that doesnt have a lot of other frequencies involved. They are very quiet, dont expect masses of output.

The other thing to check is all your connections, strangely I have just posted on the subject of high resistance joints and thats the sort of effect . Its not just the speaker connections, check every link in the chain. Dont look at a cable and think it looks sound, I have had a couple of interconnects that looked fine, but had broken connections.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yeah, went through all that. Unplugged the cables from the fronts and plugged them in the epilogues and still naff. I played a Steely Dan track with a very trebly cymbal and it's not there!

So, I guess the tweeters are knacked. I've emailed Ruark to ask them. Not sure what the warraty is on these things, a year I guess.

Any ideas on replacement, I'm handy with a soldering iron!

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Just get Ruark to send you a new pair and solder them in, otherwise have a look at them and do a search. Quite a lot of manufacturers use easily obtained drive units. Dont just use any old tweeter as you will alter the balance of your speakers. Might be wise to check the crossover as well, just in case its a component thats been damaged preventing the signal from reaching the tweeters.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yep, I certainly would only use the right bits. I'll see what Ruark say and if they suggest a repair agent.

Come to think of it, the Epilogues have always had a slight edge on the treble, like you get with a damaged cone so maybe they were faulty from day 1 and have just got worse but I have failed to notice with them being surrounds. I always put it down to bad recordings and it was very minor but it went away when I got the Preludes as fronts.

I really love these speakers so don't mind paying a bit to get them back to tip top order.

6. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Replacing the tweeter shouldn't be difficult if you can get the replacements. I had to replace one of the main drivers on my Mission 77C1 (cost about £25) but it's just a case of unscrewing and replacing. Probably worth using a heat sink between the tweeter unit and the soldering point though if it comes to that.

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I got in touch with Ruark and they suggested removing the biwire links and only connecting the tweeters which I have done. Silence. So the tweeters are shot. I doubt very much if the incident with the power amp did it and only one was connected then any way.

I'll have to investigate replacements. At least I know there is a problem which is better than having a duff sound and not finding anything wrong!