1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Location Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by T0MAT01, Dec 27, 2004.

1. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Hi, we're currently building a new house which is just about ready for first fix electrics.
    I'd like to install surround sound speakers in the lounge and am wonderring what the best way to go about it is.

My first thought was that it would be easy to run some speaker cable through the ceiling to some standard 6"x9"s mounted in the plasterboard ceiling, but I'm not sure if it would work effectively as the speakers would obviously be pointing down at the ground.

The other option is to install speaker cable outlets on the walls ready for some wall mounted speakers.

I assume the second one would be the better option for sound quality, but I quite like the tidyness of the ceiling mounted idea so I'd like to know if anyone thinks it would produce a good enough surround sound feel with downwards facing cones?

Cheers a lot and great forum BTW!

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    You should look at the Kef Custom install range, they use their UniQ driver which has a very wide spread of sound, and this works very well with ceiling mounting.
    Hyper fi were doing these at very good prices recently, check their website out and see what they have listed in their offers.

I would go for Ci160 or Ci200 if they have them. The models that end in S are square and designed for wall mounting and the models that end wit C are circular and are desigined for being ceiling mounted, havimg said that the drivers are the same in both so it is really down to personal preference.

3. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Thanks gizlaroc, they look like good quality which is great since I'm seriously considdering using Arcam amps.

But just for now all I need is the cables so is there anything I should know about future proofing etc. what sort of speaker cable should I use?

Should I go for 7.1 surround instead of 5.1?

thanks.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    It is up to you regarding 5.1 vs. 7.1, what is your room and seating arrangement??

As far as cables go, I ended up using some ring mains for my custom install speakers, I tried some QED stuff that was getting good reviews and was not too expensive and that was terrible, very bright and brash sounding. Then tried loads of other cables that did not impress until I tried some Chord Rumor and that was pretty good but worked out at nearly £800 to do all the speakers, and to be honest I didn't think it was worth it.
    So went for some ring mains, I do like solid cables and I remember one of the guys from Audioquest saying to try it once, he said that it would sound nicer than most multistrand cables out there up to a certain price, and he had a point, it was alot nicer in the top, got rid of the edgy sound of the cheap multistrand, oh and it cost me about £25 for a roll of 100m.

5. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    The room is roughly 5.5m square, with the T.V. in one corner, the door in the opposite corner and probably 2 big sofas - one along each wall next to the door (so at right angles not facing exactly at the T.V.).

I think I'd like to go for 7.1 to get a bit more width of sound into the corners of the room, but don't want to double the cost of equipment to run it!

BTW thanks for the tip about the cable! :smashin: I guess 1.0mm² twin and earth type will be plenty big enough to cope.