1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker levels

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by braidkid, Mar 21, 2005.

1. braidkid

braidkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I recently purchased a sound level meter to check my speaker levels. My speaker manual says to set the scale to 70 db and set all speakers to 75 db. This caused me to dial my speakers back -3.5. My question is why 75 db and not 80 db for example? Is there a reason 75 db is used? Also, should I attempt to set my sub at the same 75 db level? How do you set your sub level?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    If you setup all your speakers to 75db then when playing a DVD with the volume set to '0' then you will be listening at the 'reference' level as set by Dolby. This is just a standard and therefore makes it easier when doing a demo of diferent equipment to make sure you get the same levels etc, but not recommended for general listening as it is B00dy loud :D

Setting up the sub is a bit more difficault as the SPL is not that accurate for bass, and the amount of bass wanted is a personal thing.
    My current sub has an OSD so setting up is dead easy, but my previous sub had to be done manually. With me I set the volume on the sub to approx a third and then played some music I knew well. I kept turning the sub down (useing the sub setting on my receiver) until I could no longer hear the sub distinctly. It was then just a matter of making minor adjustments to get it how I liked it.

Mark.