Speaker Level

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by YoAlright, Sep 11, 2007.

1. YoAlright

YoAlright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys...

Quick question...

What amp would drive an active sub at speaker level connections? (The subs amp, or, the external amp)

Cheers for any help in advance! :thumbsup:

PS: I'm asking this because my amp only puts out 50 watts, and the sub I'm investing in is rated at 400 watts...

2. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Both.

When using the speaker level connections on a sub, you are feeding the sub with the signal that your speakers receive. The input impedance is high, so your AV amp is not overloaded in any way.
    From there, the sub uses that signal to feed its own amp, which in turn drives the sub's driver.

The fact that your amp is rated at 50w and your sub is 400w is irrelevant in this case.

3. YoAlright

YoAlright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Top man!

Cheers..

4. Cluelessjock

Cluelessjock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just the question I needed answered, thanks.

So if I understand correctly there is no need to take the subs impedence in to consideration when setting the amp??

5. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    No, because it's impedance is about 10kohms or something riduculous. It therefore draws a miniscule amount of current which places no demands on the amplifier.

The best way of thinking about it is like placing a voltmeter across the terminals on the back of your amp. The meter's needle wiggles as it 'reads' the signal but it doesn't affect the sound comming out of your speakers. The only difference is that the sub takes it's 'reading' of the signal and then generates it's own for it's own amplifier rather than wiggling the needle.

Russell