Speaker level to line level converter

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Darren Blake, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Simple problem:

I need to hook up the line level input to my AEGO2 active 2.1 sub / sat combo to the headphone speaker level output from my LCD TV.

The inputs are both phono plugs. The output from the LCD is a 3.5mm stereo plug.

Is there a simple circuit that I can use to do this? I have had a search on the web but there seems to be a few different solutions, some as simple as a potential divider but some use transformers and several other components.

The only reason I want to do this is so I can alter the volume of my AEGO2 via the TV remote control, rather than having to get out of bed to twiddle the knob on the front of the AEGO :)

TIA.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,057
    Headphone socket should provide an adequate output to go into a line level input, without additional circuitry. Just a suitable cable. Oh, and start with the volume turned right down, and turn it up slowly until you get to the right level.

3. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Interesting. So its not likely to be the same level as a full blown speaker output, then? BTW - the internal speakers are only 2W anyway.

4. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just to bump this:

I've done some more searching about line levels and found some stuff that does indeed say that headphone sockets are pretty much line level at some point in the volume range, but can be adjusted to be higher or lower (hence start off with it turned down).

However it also said that headphone outputs are "notoriously noisy" and not a good source for a line in.

Anyone have any opinions on that?

Only reason I ask is because I could feed the AEGO from a proper line level input, excpet this would make the whole "getting out of bed" thing necessary for volume adjustment.

And before anyone else makes the observation, the AEGO2 comes with a speaker to line level converter, except it requires a vacant line level output to take its earth reference from. I can't use this because I only have the 3.5 mini jacks.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,057
    Notoriosly noisy? Well, I guess you will find out by trying it. I suppose it depends on how good the headphone amp is in the set. And then it becomes a trade-off between the convenience and the ultimate quality.