Speaker level sub but I only have RCA/Phono sub input on amp...??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by steve_546089, Jan 15, 2008.

1. steve_546089

steve_546089
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello all, I have a bit of a problem...
    I currently have a Samsung speaker level sub which I got included with my Samsung DVD/Home Cinema package, my problem is the new amp/receiver I've ordered (Sony DG910) only has a RCA/Phono sub input. Is there anyway of connecting the Samsung sub to the Sony DG910...??
    The Samsung sub has a small square type connection on the end of the cable (no exposed wires) which fits into the corresponding small square type connection on the Samsung DVD/Home Cinema.

Hope this all makes sense. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers
    Steve

2. steve_546089

steve_546089
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Steve

3. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Hi mate, sounds like you have a passive sub there, designed specifically to be powered by the Sammy home cinema package. The Sony is designed to work with an 'amplified' sub via its LFE/RCA output which means you'd need a new amplified sub (ideally) or alternatively purchase a separate power amp to drive the passive sub.

BTW, if you're happy with the performance from the Samsung sub, you really shouldn't have to spend much on replacing it with an amplified sub that has RCA/LFE inputs.

4. steve_546089

steve_546089
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that info Mi55ion - appreciate it.
    Can you recommend anywhere where I could purchase a cheap replacement sub? I'd ideally like it to be Samsung if possible to keep it all matching.

As a second thought, is there anyway I could just cut off the square connection on the sub and replace it with an RCA?

Many thanks again
    Steve

5. iSix

iSix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, that wouldn't work as there would only be signal coming from the sony and no power to actually driver the woofer.

6. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    Hi steve_546089,

As iSix says it's not as simple as replacing the the square connection with an RCA, from what you've described in the original post and without knowing the model etc, I'd guess that your sub is a passive sub and requires external amplification. If you really want to keep hold of the sub then you'd need a power amplifier in addition to the Sony AV receiver.

The easiest option would be to replace the sub with one similar in dimensions and colour to the Sammy but that has an RCA/LFE input with built-in amplification, ebay would be the first point of call, you can search under the following categories:

Consumer Electronics >Home Audio/ Hi Fi >Speakers: Hi Fi >Subwoofers

or alternatively if you have time on your hands:

Consumer Electronics >Home Audio/ Hi Fi >Speakers: Hi Fi >Surround/ Home Cinema Speakers

Good luck. :thumbsup: