1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker level Calibration Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by whmacs, Dec 15, 2003.

1. whmacs

whmacs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All,
    This may be a dumb question, but the usual practice to calibrate speakers is to set your sound meter to the 70-75 db range, send a test tone through the left speaker and adjust the volume on your receiver until your sound meter reads 75db. You then balance the rest of the speakers using each speaker level db adjustment.

Ok here's my question. I have had an Onkyo 787 for three years now and my wife knows that if you set the volume between 25 - 35 (goes up to 80) it won't get too loud. Recently I have upgraded my speakers to 4ohm types that aren't as efficient as my previous speakers (89db vs previous 93db). I've also added two Rotel power amps and now the Onkyo just acts as a processor. To keep my wife happy, I set the Onkyo volume at 35 then raised each of the speaker level db adjustments so that each speaker was putting out 75db from my seated position. This meant that instead of the level adjustments being around +1 or +2 db as would of been the case if I followed the standard method for calibration, then are sitting around +8 or +9 for each speaker. Does using such high speaker level adjustments have any determental effect of speakers / or amp?

Thanks
    Stephen

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Stephen
    Iam no expert but from what info i have read you can introduce distortion by having the channel levels too high.It would be better turning the volume up on the amp and level the speaker settings to +1-+2 db to get 75db at your seating position.
    Cheers Gonzo.

3. whmacs

whmacs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the reply Gonzo, I was afraid that would be the answer. I suspect a reeducation session for my wife may be in order...

Thanks,
    Stephen

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Gonzo is spot on - you are overdriving the amp section which introduces distortion.