1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker level adjustment

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Epoman, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've always done it from the amp as I can't figure out how to adjust the speaker volume from my Denon 3802 when I'm playing either the THX tests or my Ultimate DVD Platinum:blush:

I have the amp connected to my screen by s-video lead and OSD is turned on in the setup menu. Whenever I go to the amp setup menu and select channel levels however, the DVD output is replaced by the amp test signal.

Any idea's what I might be doing wrong :confused: I want to set it up from the Ultimate disc which I understand will be more accurate.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    It's been a while since I had my 3801 but you need the remote set to AMP and then if I remember correctly you press Pause Button (the one with ENTER and SHIFT above and below it) to select each channel and then use the PLAY and STOP buttons to change the volumes up and down.

3. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Yes Jase that is how you adjust the channel levels.

The problem I have however is adjusting the speaker levels when playing the test tones from either the THX tests or my Ultimate DVD Platinum Disc. As soon as I go to the channel level setup menu on the amp the disc test tone output is repleced by the amp test signal, which effectively means I cannot set the channel levels using an external signal from a disc.

Surely there has to be an answer. How is every other Denon owner using their setup discs if the Denon won't let them?

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    That's how you do it on the fly. You don't need to access the main setup menu. Set the tones in action from the DVD disc then you manually increase or decrease each channel via the remote whilst those tones are playing. You can also do it via the front panel if you wish, just press the CH VOL button then twiddle the knob to increase/decrease each channel.

If you access the Channel Levels from the main setup menu then yes, it will override any other source.

The other alternative is just scribble down the differences that the channels need to be increased/decreased by eg. FL needs to be upped by 2db, Centre by 3db etc etc and then access the main setup menu channel levels and adjust the lot in one hit.

5. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Thanks Jase. That sounds like the answer.

Now, why didn't I think of doing this :clown: :blush: Doh!