• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Speaker issues - can you help an amateur?

norse360

Standard Member
Hello,

I have some speaker issues I hope you guys can help me with. I feel like a real newbie (which I probably am), but please excuse my stupid questions :blush:

My primary issue: With my current system I have a real issue with sibiliance (I hope that's the right word) where the 'S' sound during speech sounds awful. It's really annoying and is noticable during games, music and movies. What can I do to reduce it?

Secondary issue: I used the microphone that came with the receiver (Audyssey) to calibrate. but the result is weird. After setup the back speakers are so much louder than the front. This is very noticable with games where I listen to a game character and I can hear him much better with my back (the playable character) turned against than if I'm facing him. The levels of the speakers doesn't look weird, but the centre channel is low. Why would a auto calibrating give me such a result? Is it because there is a table between the center speaker and my listening position, or because the centre speaker is placed in a shelf i the TV stand?

I have the following setup:
AV receiver: Onkyo TX-NR515
Speakers: Harman Kardon HKTS 11 (I use the speaker wires that came with the set)

This is how it looks:
photolfks.jpg

Layout of my living room: (the small circles=my speakers)
layoutqb.jpg

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Where did you place the mic when you ran the auto setup? Your speaker placement is far from ideal and could be causing issues with the sound. However not sure it is causing the issues you describe. Your rears are also very close to the listening position which can make the sound too loud. You can always change the levels of each speaker manually until it sounds as you like it.

hlpmeimdrowning

You could also try putting your surrounds higher up on the wall to get a bit of distance between them and your sofa.

Or you could try putting the right surround speaker to the right side of the other, perpendicular sofa.

Also having the Audyssey effect enabled tends to over emphasize the surround effect anyway, have you tried disabling it?

Last edited:

norse360

Standard Member
Where did you place the mic when you ran the auto setup? Your speaker placement is far from ideal and could be causing issues with the sound. However not sure it is causing the issues you describe. Your rears are also very close to the listening position which can make the sound too loud. You can always change the levels of each speaker manually until it sounds as you like it.

I placed the mic in the middle of the couch between the rear speakers. That's where I sit most of the time. I know the placement is poor, but that's the best I could do after discussing it with my girlfriend :)

norse360

Standard Member
You could also try putting your surrounds higher up on the wall to get a bit of distance between them and your sofa.

Or you could try putting the right surround speaker to the right side of the other, perpendicular sofa.

Also having the Audyssey effect enabled tends to over emphasize the surround effect anyway, have you tried disabling it?

I turned all the effects off, but I couldn't really hear any difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom