Speaker isolation feet

Going Grey Now

Morning all
I’ve just acquired a pair of Celestion speakers (about 8kg each) and some old Gale stands.
It’s really an experiment at this stage, to see how I get on with speakers over 40 years old.
I‘d like to isolate the underside of the speakers from the top plate of the stands without paying silly money.
I’ve come across - but never used - Sorbothane.
I know you can buy pre-formed feet but also see that you can buy sheets of the stuff.
Would anyone have any views on the depth of Sorbothane I’d need to make this a worthwhile exercise.
Would - say - 5mm do a job?
Thanks

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Blobs of blutac are a cheap alternative to see if it makes a difference, also squash balls cut in half (Very similar properties to sorbothane).

acgingersnaps

+1 for blu-tack. Does the job brilliantly. Isolation between floor and stand then speaker firmly attached to base plate.

3rdignis

dogfonos

+1 for blu-tack. Does the job brilliantly. Isolation between floor and stand then speaker firmly attached to base plate.

There's acoustic "coupling" and there's acoustic "isolation" and although they are polar opposites, it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference (for me anyhow). So does blu-Tack "couple" or does it "isolate"? Or is the subject a little more complex in that Blu-Tack couples at low audio frequencies and isolates at higher audio frequencies - so a sort of mechanical low-pass filter?

What about spikes? Often referred to in the hifi press as decouplers/isolators. Really?
PS I'm prone to overthinking things.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
My simple understanding is that squishy stuff (blutac, sorbothan etc) isolates and spikes couple. So for speakers on the floor if you have concrete floor you want spikes, if it is a suspended wood floor you want squishy stuff.

Call me Candy

Distinguished Member
Yep blu tac for me too. Much better than the piddly little gel blobs that came with my stand mounts. Plus added security of not knocking them off.

DT79

Distinguished Member
Blutac all the way. If you do use the sorbothane hemispheres then they have an intended weight range so you can choose the best ones. Over or under compress them and they won’t operate in their optimal state for absorbing vibration.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom