Question Speaker internal crossover specification

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by kalniel, Aug 18, 2016.

1. kalniel

kalniel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!

I'm comparing Monitor Audio Bronze 5 and 6, and quite obviously I know the 6 with its bigger and additional cones will push more air for bass. But I'm interested how this is depicted in the specifications:

Bronze 5:
    LF: -6dB @ 600Hz
    MF/HF: 2.8kHz

Bronze 6:
    LF: -6dB @ 150Hz
    MF/HF: 2.5kHz

I'm used to crossover notation with respect to a subwoofer, but I'm less clear how it's used within a floorstander like these.

Is it saying that in the case of the 5, frequencies are split with the bass-cone handling 600Hz and below, mid-cone 600-2800Hz, and tweater 2800Hz+? Or as these are 2.5 way is the split more simply 600Hz and below to the bass, while 600+ go to mid+tweater together?

On the other-hand, the 6 has a 1" larger mid-cone, so they push 150+Hz to the mid, and sub 150Hz goes to the dual bass-cones?

It seems either way, the bass cones have a 6dB penalty, but on the 6 this only affects the sub 150Hz region while on the 5s this is going to affect everything below 600Hz?

Yes, I should probably just get out and test them both (added caveat is the NR 1506 AMP is borderline powerful enough for the 6s, only [email protected] Ohms), or save up and buy a sub to go with the 5s?

2. AudioVisualOnline

AudioVisualOnline
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +792
    The -6 indication is specifying the crossover slope, not attenuation to a driver specifically, or its entire working range. The crossover doesnt just brick wall stop frequencies at a set point, they are gradually attenuated so the drivers blend together during operation, and this is what this figure typically tells us. Its actually impossible to give a set crossover frequency because of this gradual attenuation, the speaker still produces output below or above a stated crossover frequency, its just that it drops off, so the LF: -6dB @ 600Hz statement is telling us the LF driver is 6db down by the time its producing frequencies as high as 600Hz.

3. kalniel

kalniel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh thanks! That makes more sense.