1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker inpedance setting?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NinjaKi11a, Aug 21, 2004.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought myself an AVR200 and I'm keen to get the badboy going, but I'm unsure about the speaker impedance setting on the back. According to the Quad website, my 11Ls have a nominal impedance of 6 ohms, but it says they are 'suitable for use with 8 ohm amplifiers'. Should I leave the amp at the default 8 ohm setting or change it to 4-6?

EDIT: my rears are Mission 771e - not got a clue about their impedance.

Cheers.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I seem to recall from an old Yamaha amp that I had that the instructions were to set it at 4-6 ohms if the speakers were any less than 8 ohms.

I would set it at 4-6 ohms just to be on the safe side until someone gives you a definitive answer

3. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Is the setting at the back 4 or 8 ohms? I recently got the AVR300 and the manual states for speakers with impedence 6 ohms or lower set the amp to 4 else set to 8.

4. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just had a look at your receiver manual on the Arcam website and it clearly states for speakers at 6ohms or lower, set the switch to 4-6ohms else set to 8ohms. (Page 7 on your manual.)

5. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found my 771e (rear) manual: it says they are 8 ohms. Because of this, and because the Quads are apparently 'suitable' for 8 ohm amps, I've left the amp at 8 - assuming that switching it down would be unsuitable for the rears...

Do you think it's advisable to change?

6. Shaka

Shaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    In theory that sounds ok, but I can't say for definite. I think the receiver will go into standby mode as a safety precaution, after a few minutes of play if the setting isn't right. I only say this cos AVR300 kept doing this when I accidently siwtched mine to 8ohms rather than 6ohms, which it should have been for my speakers. But you should check this out for your receiver incase it's different.