1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker impedence info needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by graham_ew, Oct 20, 2001.

1. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having just decided (and ordered) some new speakers (warfedale diamond 8.2's and centre) I have just noticed that they are rated at 6 ohm ,,,,,,,,,,, my amp (pioneer vsx 709) says to use 8-16 ohm speakers ,,,,,, :( what will happen will i blow the speakers or the amp or will i be ok or should i cancel them before the are delivered (anytime this coming week) any info gratefully recieved

Graham

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    No worries, any modern amp should be able to handle even 4 Ohm speakers as long as you don't drive them to hard - besides, most amps have a protection circuit so no worries.

That said speaker impedance varies during use, means a 8 Ohm speaker can drop down to e.g. 4 Ohm or lower, too.

3. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Reiner, I have since found out some info saying something like:- a 4ohm speaker is twice as hard to drive as a 8ohm one so the 6ohm ones should be about 50% more work but as you say the work load on the speakers will change during usage so they must build a bit of leway into the amps/receivers i think i may keep the speakers as they do look cool and I have read some great reviews of them. I will check to see if my amp has a cut out also when you say "work them to hard" I guess you mean high volume for hours on end well as most of my movies are watched after my 2 1/2 year old son is in bed high volumes are not an issue.

Graham

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yep, if you halve the impedance the power will double.
    And yes, I ment excessive volume levels ... :D