1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Impedance

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jon B, Mar 5, 2001.

1. Jon B

Jon B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I 've just got a Sherwood R125 Pro-logic receiver and was reading the instructions at the weekend. They say that the front l/r/centre speakers should all be 8 ohm and that the rear surrounds should be 4 ohm. I understand that the higher the impedance rating the easier the speakers are to drive, so wouldn't 8 ohms all round be better. Or, is it something to do with pro-logic only being four channels with the rears sharing a channel and being connected in parallel? I think I'm right in thinking that two 4-ohm speakers in parallel equates to an 8 ohm total impedance; equal to the other channels so you should get the same loudess. Am I correct? Either way,what I really want to know is can you use speakers of different impedance rating to those specified in the instructions and use the centre and rear level controls to balance out the sound using a test tone?
    Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks,
    Jon

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I guess the amp does not have seperate amplification for the two rear speakers (though the signal would be mono in case of DPL anyhow) and hence will internally connect them in series, ie 4 + 4Ohm = 8 Ohm.

Only an assumption but it makes some kind of sence (to me at least) ... [​IMG]

3. Jon B

Jon B

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information.
    Should more impedance make it seem quieter or louder? I tried two different sets of front speakers at the weekend, one set of old 8 ohm bookshelf speakers and a pair of 6 ohm Sony (s176?) floorstanders. The amp volume control needed to be wound up much more on the floorstanders for me to perceive them to be as loud as the bookshelf ones had been? Also using a 6 ohm Yamaha surround speaker as a centre seemed much quieter than a 8 ohm Kef proper centre speaker. Can this be right, or is it more likely to be due to speaker sensitivity?

Also regarding the series/parallel connection issue I miss-connected the centre speaker on my brother's Yamaha, which has the option of having 2 centres, so that i was using the black of one centre speaker terminal and the red of another. Until this was rectified the centre speaker worked, but was very, very quiet. Is this to do the series/parallel connection and the effecrt on total impedance?

Sorry about there being so many questions, I'm just trying to get it all straight in my head.

Thanks,
    Jon