Speaker Impedance Setting

rorir64387

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I own a Onkyo TXNR575E receiver and want to know what speaker impedance setting I should run with it.

I have a 5.1 Channel setup with:-
2 front speakers rated at 8 ohms
1 center speaker rated at 6 ohms
2 rear speakers rated at 6 ohm

What speaker impedance setting should I set the receiver to in order to safely run the speakers and get the best sound output. Is it safe to set the receiver to 4 ohms?

Just leave the receiver on an 8 ohm setting. Setting it to 4 ohm could cause overheating and shutdowns. The receiver will easily handle all those speakers at the default 8 ohms.

You have posted this in the wrong section, should be in AV Receivers & Amps. Let one of the section mods move it for you.

Just leave the receiver on an 8 ohm setting. Setting it to 4 ohm could cause overheating and shutdowns. The receiver will easily handle all those speakers at the default 8 ohms.

You have posted this in the wrong section, should be in AV Receivers & Amps. Let one of the section mods move it for you.

Thanks for the response. I thought that advice was usually the other way around i.e. "don't run 4 ohm speakers with 8 ohm receiver"?

Also, mods sorry for the mistake, please move this to the correct section.

If you run 4 ohms then the rail voltage is increased. This leads to more heat and less power for the speakers. Driving those speakers harder is going to increase the heat in the receiver which could lead to safety shutdowns. Receivers are designed to run speakers between 4 and 8 ohm easily and it more than possible to mix all three loadings from the same unit.

Putting a 4 ohm setting with 6 and 8 ohm speakers is not at all necessary.

If you run 4 ohms then the rail voltage is increased. This leads to more heat and less power for the speakers. Driving those speakers harder is going to increase the heat in the receiver which could lead to safety shutdowns. Receivers are designed to run speakers between 4 and 8 ohm easily and it more than possible to mix all three loadings from the same unit.

Putting a 4 ohm setting with 6 and 8 ohm speakers is not at all necessary.

Thanks again for the reply. With the mixed 6 and 8 ohm speakers, the receiver only allows me to put it in a 4 ohm or 6 ohm setting. I had been running it at the 6 ohm setting for a couple of months but had been experiencing random relay clicks which didn't appear to affect audio but were happening even even without audio format changes.

I recently discovered this old post (Onkyo TX-SR805 Clicking Sound - And I'm not Stupid!) which suggested setting their receiver at 4 ohms resolved the clicking for a user with similar configuration. I changed mine to 4 ohms and its been a full day without clicks hence why I wanted to make sure it was safe to keep it at that setting long term?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom