Question Speaker impedance setting on Yamaha RX-A1080

edders5

Established Member
Reaction score
This has been asked many times and I have read numerous threads and articles about this but still have (to me) an unanswered question.

My Dali Opticon LCR speakers have a nominal impedance of 6 ohms and I have set my receiver accordingly. However it seems the general consensus is to set the impedance to 8 ohms as it does not do any apparent harm. Will there be a worthwhile audible improvement if I change to 8 ohms? Will I need to re-run YPOA? I don't listen at very high volumes.

Thanks

Last edited:
You should leave your AV receiver set to its default 8ohm setting irrespective of the impedance of the speakers.

You are effectively starving those speakers of power if setting the impedance switch lower than the default.

The reasons why that switching is now included onboard AV receivers and why it is best not to employ it are extolled here:

Yes, you should get better performance if not engaging the switching because you'd not be limiting the power available to drive those speakers.

No, there's be no need to rerun YPAO or recalibrate your setup.

Upvote 0
Help...my yamaha receiver has no speaker impedance setting. Yamaha rx v473.

Yes it has. You have to access it via the ADVANCED SETUP configurations. Read the manual on how to access these settings:

Page 80.

Anyway, it should be set to 8ohm by default so you shouldn;t really need to change it. The advice is to leave AV receivers set to 8ohm and not set them to a lower setting. This is regardless of the actual impedance of the speakers you are using.

Upvote 0
Yes it has. You have to access it via the ADVANCED SETUP configurations. Read the manual on how to access these settings:

Page 80.

Anyway, it should be set to 8ohm by default so you shouldn;t really need to change it. The advice is to leave AV receivers set to 8ohm and not set them to a lower setting. This is regardless of the actual impedance of the speakers you are using.
i went into advanced settings but there is no 6ohm selector. i am using 6ohm speaker

Upvote 0
8ohm would be the default setting so if you've never changed it then it will be still set to 8ohm. There is an option to change this, but you don't really need to:

by default 2022-05-07 at 08.43.47.png

As said, leave it set to 8ohms regardless of the rated impedance of your speakers. Setting it to 6phm will simply result in the receiver starving your speakers of power and has no benefits associated with it.

Upvote 0
DSC_0457.JPG

8ohm sẽ là cài đặt mặc định vì vậy nếu bạn chưa bao giờ thay đổi nó thì nó sẽ vẫn được đặt thành 8ohm. Có một tùy chọn để thay đổi điều này, nhưng bạn không thực sự cần:

View attachment 1693328

Như đã nói, hãy để nó ở mức 8ohms bất kể trở kháng định mức của loa của bạn. Đặt nó thành 6phm sẽ chỉ dẫn đến việc bộ thu làm cạn kiệt công suất loa của bạn và không có lợi ích liên quan đến nó.
8ohm sẽ là cài đặt mặc định vì vậy nếu bạn chưa bao giờ thay đổi nó thì nó sẽ vẫn được đặt thành 8ohm. Có một tùy chọn để thay đổi điều này, nhưng bạn không thực sự cần:

View attachment 1693328

Như đã nói, hãy để nó ở mức 8ohms bất kể trở kháng định mức của loa của bạn. Đặt nó thành 6phm sẽ chỉ dẫn đến việc bộ thu làm cạn kiệt công suất loa của bạn và không có lợi ích liên quan đến nó.
Nếu mình dùng loa 6ohm thì có bị cháy amp không?

Attachments

• DSC_0456.JPG
    DSC_0456.JPG
    296.8 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_0455.JPG
    DSC_0455.JPG
    273.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0454.JPG
    DSC_0454.JPG
    273.3 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0453.JPG
    DSC_0453.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
I assure you that there is an option to change the impedance. As said, don't bother doing this because there's no reason to and setting it to 6ohm will only starve your speakers of power. The setting has no benefit associated with it and it is a redundant safety feature superseded by the AV receiver's own integral protection circuitry. You do not need to restrain the power output to your speakers in order to prevent the AV receiver overheating because the protection circuitry will do this and put the receiver in standby should its operational temperature encroach upon a level deemed harmful. All you'd be doing by setting the impedance switch to 6ohm is starvinge speakers of power and this wll be detrimental to their performance.

Upvote 0
I assure you that there is an option to change the impedance. As said, don't bother doing this because there's no reason to and setting it to 6ohm will only starve your speakers of power. The setting has no benefit associated with it and it is a redundant safety feature superseded by the AV receiver's own integral protection circuitry. You do not need to restrain the power output to your speakers in order to prevent the AV receiver overheating because the protection circuitry will do this and put the receiver in standby should its operational temperature encroach upon a level deemed harmful. All you'd be doing by setting the impedance switch to 6ohm is starvinge speakers of power and this wll be detrimental to their performance.
ok i will follow you. but i really wonder why my device doesn't have the option 6 8 ohm

Upvote 0
I can only assume it an error on your part as opposed to one with the AV receiver? I've not experienced the option not being available with any of the Yamaha AV receiver I've had or the ones I've still got. Neither have I read any issues posted by other owners where the setting has gone missing.

Upvote 0
I can only assume it an error on your part as opposed to one with the AV receiver? I've not experienced the option not being available with any of the Yamaha AV receiver I've had or the ones I've still got. Neither have I read any issues posted by other owners where the setting has gone missing.
Straight+ power.

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom