1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Impedance Question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bootie, Apr 16, 2003.

1. bootie

bootie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm new to this forum so bear with me guys. I have a panasonic audio/video receiver rated at 100W x 5 @ 6 ohms. The speakers i have are sony towers w/ 2 - 6.5" , 1 - 3.x , and a .75" speakers. The speakers are rated at 8 ohms. I know since they are working at 8 ohms the speakers aren't seeing the full 100W. I was wondering if I could rewire the speakers for a 4 ohm impedance to get more power to them without any harmful consequences? I know the receiver will have to work harder and may overheat or will 2 ohms make that much of a difference? If i wire the speakers for 4 ohms, how much power will the speakers see then instead of the 100W rms? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Leave those speakers alone you will most likley damage the amp.100w into 6ohms is given rather than 80w into 8ohms because it sounds better.The speakers will never get full power anyway have you ever turned the amp up all the way and left it there,this would do damage to your speakers ,amp and your ears.Stop worring about numbers chill.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You are not getting more power to them like in "they will be louder". It's just heat you are going to get, caused by the higher load to the amp.

And like bob1 said, the ratings are the maximum - not the nominal load.
    If you want more power buy a new amp or add a dedicated power amp (if your current model supports pre-outs).
    But then you will probably also want to change you speakers. :D