Speaker impedance question

Smoka929

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha Rx-v679 receiver and I a pair of dual lu43pb speakers for outside. I thought they were 8 ohms but just noticed that they have nominal impedance of 4-6. I'm hooking them up to zone 2 so my first question is will they work ok? Second is I have to speakers but just one output for zone 2 so which is best way to hook it up? Thanks for any help

You should be okay with the lower impedance speakers at reasonable listening levels, but the receiver may invoke its inbuilt protection mode at higher volumes to prevent any damage to the receiver due to overheating?

There are two terminals for use with the second zone.

snapshot001.jpg

So there is, I was going off memory and I thought it only had one. Thanks for letting me know. What about running zone 1 & 2 at the same time? Will that be too much for the receiver? And do I treat speakers as 4 or 6 ohms? Thanks for the advice

You should be able to use both zones simultaneously, but the main room will be limited to 5.1 while doing so because the amplification ordinarilly used to power back speakers will be powering the speakers in the other zone.

Treat them all as though they are 8ohm and do not engage the receiver's impedance switching.

Thanks for the help Dante, I got it hooked up and it works but I can only hear zone two if I crank up volume control all the way....is this because of cheaper speakers or am I asking the receiver to do to much?

I can only suggest it an issue with the speakers or the wiring being used? Are you sure that you wired them in phase? The amp isn't having to work harder to power lower impedance loads, it is in fact the exact oposit. It is friction caused by the increased flow of current that caused overheating.

Maybe test using a different speaker?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom