1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Hissing

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BLACK_MAGIC, Jun 17, 2003.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If im getting a light hissing coming from the tweaters of my main speakers is this normally fixed by getting better quality speaker cable?
    Thanks to those that help.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My amps hiss, just noticeable from about 3 inches away though. All amps hiss, some more than others.

No way can I hear it from the listening postion- can you?

I did have a cheap Yamaha AV amp and that hissed loudly in Pro-Logic mode & 5.1 input (and a Rotel processor hissed and hummed for DPL/DD/DTS)

It's mainly fault on pre-amp stage & amps (good amps have lower noise floor)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As nathan says,the hissing originates from the amps....even really expensive speaker cables won't lower your noise floor.
    This sort of thing is often a problem with very sensitive speakers,and poorly designed amps,but will occur to varying degrees in any setup.

4. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No i cant hear from the listerning position:). It's also ive just changed my cd player and ive noticed more ****ley recorded cd's which the meridian didnt pick up:( which is causing some of the problem doh! sorry my fault for being over keen to post before experimenting more.
    Why is it that everything that isn't robert miles seems to be badly recorded:(
    I'm gonna lose half my cd collection the way things are going:(

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,253
    cos Robert Miles' stuff has no "real" instruments......hence no analog stage, but saying that, you can get good material from "real" instruments, but it depends on a number of factors.