1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

speaker hiss!?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NAI, Jan 17, 2004.

1. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ok. hissing problem. hope someone on these wise forums can help:

i have a Denon AVR 2801 connected to a set of Tannoy speakers; two mx4s (front) two mxRs (rear) and an mxC (centre). the sub is a REL Q150e.
    the MX-4s are connected with QED profile silver 12 cable and QED airlock plugs, they are biwired.
    the centre is connected with QED silver anniversary cable.
    the rears are connected with basic hifi cable, they are too far away from the amp for my pocket unfortunately. i think the stuff is Gale Electronics, XL189.

the problem i have just noticed is that the tweeters of all the speakers are producing a slight hiss... nowhere near enough to affect the sound when listening to music or films, but still, it is audible when you put your ear a slight distance from them (about a foot away it fades out).
    they never used to hiss. this is why i am concerned.

ive tried the amp on all its settings, on all modes, with various equipment... this hiss is present on all. even when nothing is connected they still produce the hiss. all the speakers produce it, even though that are different and are connected by different cables, which makes me believe that the AMP is at fault?

i may try resetting the amps micro processor to see if that could be the problem.

but does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?? or even a fix?

is it a setting that I have accidentally increased/ too close to other AV equipment/ amp on its way out/ cables too close to power cables/ dust in amp/ etc/

any help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks
    NAI

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its probably power supply related. I get hiss loud enough that you can hear it from about 20 feet and i know it to be because of the amp design that I have. In my case its something I expect, i dont know its necessarily normal on your amp.....

ad

3. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    actually it could be the power.... good thought.

i just got a new 32" TV thats running off the same splitter, and thats gotta be sucking more juice than my old 21". ill try plugging it in to its own socket to see if that helps.

4. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    nuts..... it doesnt seem to be the power. i havent checked the plug socket it self though.

the amp is on the floor next to the TV... could the TV be interfering with the amp in some way?

i think the amp is about 3 years old. does Denon have a customer service number or email, actually how long are the guarantees on these things...?

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    it could be the tv, but id still guess on power. It is possible you are picking something up somewhere else in the mains system, or you could simply be getting interference in your cables or something.

Try unplugging anything potentially electrically noisy...... hairdriers, kettles..... anything like that. see if it helps

ad

6. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately this is just what AV receivers do, some makes are better than others - Sony is probably worse than Denon

Most hiss to some lesser or greater degree.

Sorry

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Slagging sony off again ,have you ever had one?i I only get a hiss if i turn the volume up with nothing on but why would you want to do that.The loudest i ever have the amp is -35 and i have to be 6" away from the speakers to hear an hiss,playing a dvd would not be a problem as i don't sit that close .

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Do you get booing as well as hissing when you've nothing on :D

9. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    :rotfl:

10. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i may trying unplugging everything in the house.... :laugh:

thanks for the info.

oh and like i say in my post, they never used to hiss. even on full volume they were silent. not a whisper.

11. NAI

NAI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i have come across another possible reason.

in the THX optimser test (on THX dvds POTC, T2, star wars, etc) there is a test that plays the sub crossover(?) could that damage speakers if listened to too loudly (it gives a warning to turn the volume down)??

12. jbird2k4

jbird2k4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi im having simular problem in my definitive speakers with 1500 watt sub aplifier in each one they cause earthquakes 2700 bucks for the pair on sale at audio craft i have a yamahaa it has a shhhhhhhhhhhhhssssshhhhhssssshh sound when some1 talks in a movie on dvd or anything any1 know what that could beundefined :rolleyes: :confused: :hiya

13. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you mean excessive sibilance? Essentially this is distortion that can be inherent in the amp or speakers, or might be because your tweeters have been damaged by over-driving. Is it volume-related or always there? Are you able to try different spaekers?