Speaker Help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jayzee101, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jayzee101

jayzee101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in need of some advice.

I'm currently running

Aura Evolution VA100LS amplifier
    Trichord Genesis CD player
    TDL T-Line 2 Speakers

The problem I feel I have is a lack of bass, and the sound produced by this set up doesn't really draw you in at normal listening levels. Once I crank the volume up, everything improves to a very nice sound.

Speakers are bi-wired.

I have a friend with the same amp, the standard Pioneer PD505 player, and Ruark Talisman 2's. I feel the sound produced at moderate levels on his system is far more as I desire, to the point of me posting for some Talismans in the wanted section. I appreciate that different rooms/houses makes a huge difference, but I have tried everything with the speaker positioning bar some slate bases. My room is approx 22x16 and carpeted.

I have since done some research, and the TDL's should produce the sound I'm looking for (Ihave owned them since 1996), but they just don't.

Would a change of speakers make the difference I'm looking for? I've contemplated the Ruarks, Castle Harlech, Castle Howard, and B+W DM604's - am I in the right area with these?

I'm I taking the sensible approach, or should I look at changng the amp and keep my speakers?

I play a very wide mixture of music, so want to try to cater for vocals/dance/rock.

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I'd grovel to your mate and demo his Talismans in your house, as a starting point.

If they don't sound as good in your room, you know it's the room that's causing the problem, as opposed to your existing speakers.

3. jayzee101

jayzee101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but unfortunately that isn't an option due to huge distances :(

As a starting point though, are Ruark Talismans a huge improvement over the T-Line 2's? I'm going by the price when new, as I believe the TDL's were circa 600GPB when new. There's no way a 600GPB speaker is going to sound anything like a 1200GPB speaker - right?

(sorry using a US keyboard with no pound sign!)

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    Got a photo and room dimensions so we can see what exactly your current set up is.

We need to establish what you actually mean by bass. TDLs are Transmission line speakers and as such they can produce low notes but suffer from roll off which means they cannot produce the frequencies with any real power. They are regarded as reasonably difficult to drive and do need a hefty amp with plenty of current to make them work well.

In conclusion these are a good pair of speakers that hate rock and dance music. You were looking at Ruarks and I have to say every pair I have listened to has also suffered from a perceived lack of bass, however they do not rely on the Transmission Line design to extract low notes so would give a bit more upper bass.

I am biased with speakers as I like the NEAT range which would work well. However another option would be a pair of Totem speakers, which ones depends on your pocket, but they have great bass which is very tight.

5. phil t

phil t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    I'm not sure why it's taken you nearly 13 years to discover you don't like your current speakers? Have you changed any other kit in that time frame?

Personally I had (technically still have) a pair of Castle Avons and found them to be a great all rounder, that doesn't mean you'll necessarily like them though. As with many (most, all?) things in life, what you like and dislike is a highly subjective thing. You wouldn't marry someone because I (and hundreds of others) said they thought this person was a good match for you?

:)

6. jayzee101

jayzee101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once again, thanks for the replies everyone :)

I'll sort out a piccy of the room shortly.

I have changed the amp, but prior to this I ran a Yamaha AX590 with the same speakers. I could easily sort out the deficiency at normal volume levels with the tone controls, but felt this was somewhat cheating.

The TDL's were purchased from another friend in 1996, who had them a couple of months, but decided they weren't suited to his set up. I snapped them up for 280GPB :thumbsup: at the time to replace some ageing Acoustic Research bookshelf speakers that really thumped with the Yamaha.

The TDL's, by comparison were very neutral right from day one, so have lived with it until now.

The VA100 is relatively new to me, and I much prefer the clarity and seperation it produces to the Yamaha, but in order to get a powerful sound I have to crank it up somewhat.

As with all these things, it's very difficult to put into words.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I have Talismans and they are very detailed, inclined to be 'bright' and are helped with bass support so I also have an MJ Acoustics Reference 100 subwoofer. The room is fully carpeted and there are soft furnishings.
    It might be an idea to consider the subwoofer approach. Most (all?) have a 'cut in' frquency so you can get the right blend with your main speakers. My subwoofer is set to 55Hz to complement the Talismans 48Hz low end. A different frequency could apply to your TDLs and room.

8. jayzee101

jayzee101
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've had a little play with the positioning and added a couple of garden slabs to the bases - what a difference!!

The TDL's sound great, even with rock/dance! I kid you not!

Part of the problem was the positioning, and I have carpeted floors with nasty, flimsy chipboard underneath - that's where the bass went - down into the floor.

The difference is really quite staggering, even with my modest powered amp. They still don't fill the room though, if you get my drift. Is it because I run a modest powered amp, or is it the physical size of the speakers?

The other problem is I have a Harmon/Kardon set up in my car, and that really sings! So I guess this being where I spend most of my time has become my reference sound.

Thanks for the tips everyone, I really didn't want to go down the sub route to improve things. So some cheap simple slabs have worked wonders.

I would still contemplate a change of speaker, with the TDL's going in the dining room with the Yamaha amp. They worked well together.

I still have two that I fancy. B+W DM604 or the Castle Howard. Would I see much of a difference with those?

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    You might find that simply lifting the speakers up an inch has made the real difference.

As my previous post, transmission line speakers are lazy. You gain low notes but loose loudness, it's a trade off.

Using a more powerful amp would tighten things up a bit but ultimate volume would still be limited.

I would definitely suggest you get a listen to a pair of NEAT motives as they are bloomin fantastic with rock and anything in between. Do a search under Google. Work brilliantly with a Naim Nait 5i.

The thing is that there is hifi and music. Some people want the hifi thing, perfect open sound, breathed vocals, the sound of a tiny chinese cymbal. I'm of the opinion that if I headbang at a gig I want the same feeling (even if it isn't quite as loud) from my system.

So, if you want the hifi thing then Castle Howards come from that spectrum. Not my cup of fish but a good speaker design if thats what you want. B&W I wouldn't touch with a barge pole......apologies to owners. Far better to get a pair of Dynaudio's.