1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CrazyK, Sep 13, 2005.

1. CrazyK

CrazyK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys

Just after a bit of advice please, Im getting to the stage where I want to upgrade my surround sound system, Heres the deal....

I have a pioneer AV reciever (sorry cant remember the model) Its about 3 years old now but was a good spec (around £500 new) and is still in good working order, I had 2 speaker set ups, A pair of Floor standing Warfedales Valdus 400 I used for listening to music and 4 Small Warfedale Modus cube speakers and a passive mission sub for surround. I no longer have the Floorstanding speakers and the small cubes just dont really cut it.

My surround sound speakers are all wire in with traditional Red and Black jacks on the amp (the ones you untwist insert the bear speaker wire and tighten).
    But this only gives me enough outputs for the 4 Surround speakers, and I have to biwire the already feeble sub, Also the surround sounds pretty rubbish,(probably coz its all running throug the speaker output instead of the surround output) the amp also supports the newer type of plug for surround sound (that look like phono jacks to take a moulded wire/plug) and gives loads more outputs (for sub, centre speaker etc etc) Im looking for a surround package that will sound good for a small room and still sound ok for general music listening without breaking the bank!! want to replace speakers and sub for under £500.

Sorry for the long ass post!!!

Cheers
    K

2. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Your description of your current setup is hard to understand. Before splashing out on new gear, you should make sure your existing stuff is wired up correctly.

Your amp should have speaker outputs for your L, C, R, LS and RS cubes and a line-level output for an active subwoofer. Wire the cubes to the correct speaker outputs.

Beg, buy, borrow or steal a stereo hi-fi or pro audio amp from somewhere. Connect the subwoofer output from your AV amp to one channel of this amp, and connect your sub to the appropriate speaker output.

Set the cubes to "small" on the amp. Tweak, and then come to a decision on whether or not you need new gear. The Moduses aren't high-end, but they shouldn't be too shabby.

If you still think you want new speakers, check out the Canton CD-101 offer on this forum.

3. CrazyK

CrazyK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Troon,

Cheers for the reply I just read back thru my post see what ya mean!!!

What I was trying to say is the amp has both the L, R, CS, RS, LS, SW Channels and the connections for these look like phono type push in connectors. It also has the more traditional loudspeaker connections. (L, R RS, LS)
    The modus are wired through the loudspeaker channels as the wires provided have no connectors you just strip back the wire and push it in to the spring clips. Wiring this way means there are not enough ports for all the speakers ( no ports for sub or centre) it also means you cannot access all the surround functions on the amp.

The actual sound level and quality is pretty good but you dont really get surround sound it just like having the TV on very loud!!

Can I just replace the wires (or buy just connectors) so I can wire these speakers through the proper channels??

Cheers

4. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think we'd need to know what model your receiver is before further diagnosis. I'm not confident I can work out which are banana binding posts, spring clips or RCA pre-outs well enough from the description to advise further. Go and look at it, and get back to us... :smashin:

5. CrazyK

CrazyK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again,

Right the Amp is a Pioneer VSX-D810s and hopefully I have attached a pdf copy of the connecting speakers page from the user manual.

I have connected as shown and think I have sussed out why the surround sound and sub aren't working, All of my components connect to the amp via phono leads and the DVD input has the word "front" assigned to it, so I think that is why it only plays through the front speakers, I need to know how to wire it up to get the rear speakers working, Incedidentally the surround works with the sky box but the dvd doesnt.

( i have tried using the dvd/ld and cd modes to no avail)

Cheers

6. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No attachment, but never mind.

There's a picture of the back of your amp here. The large red and black connectors at bottom right are what you should be using: use the "A" section, which are the leftmost six pairs, using the surround L/R rather than the BACK pair. These take bare wire or 4mm banana plugs.

So, just to be clear, from the leftmost pair, we have:

FRONT RIGHT
    FRONT LEFT
    CENTRE
    BACK (not connected)
    SURROUND RIGHT
    SURROUND LEFT

The picture isn't great: I can't tell which of the two sockets labelled "subwoofer" is the correct one to connect the sub amp to (see post above).

As far as inputs go, it has a 7.1 input for decoded signal. I'm guessing you're connecting your DVD to that. Use the digital input instead: connect the digital coax out from your DVD to the digital coax in on the amp. You'll probably need to tell the amp to use that input instead of the analogue, and then surround should work for you.