Speaker help

Pizzalover1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience using the Cambridge audio minx 12 or 22 sattlelite speakers? Trying to put together a make do home cinema with not a very good budget.

Can you explain why you would be willing to spend so much money on such tiny little speakers.

Minx 12 - £140/pair -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO MINX MIN12White Single Speaker

Minx 22 - £240/pair -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO MINX MIN22Black Single Speaker

That is a considerable amount of money for not very much speaker.

I would speculate that these are much better choices -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SX50 Black Speakers Per Pair

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SX60 Walnut Speakers Per Pair

Q ACOUSTICS 2020I Graphite Speakers Per Pair

Q ACOUSTICS 3020 Matte Graphite Speakers Per Pair

Why build a Make-Do system, when the speakers I suggested will likely last you for decades?

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
Screenshot_20170716-133137.png

Was recommended by richer sounds

I have very limited space and a lousy room layout and for this the minx system is very good, detailed sound but not fussy about speaker placement, in fact off axis they are fantastic and ideal for home cinema in a 'normal' living room with multiple viewing positions as the BMR speakers really do have a wide dispersal.

Forget audiophile snobbery - for a real world situation of corner TV and a wife that hates speakers the minx are Highly recommended but be warned they take a lot of running in

I would definitely consider what BlueWizard has said. Unless you really are completely limited to something as small as the Minx speakers.

Limiting is buying a pair of floor standers or bigger speakers and then not being able to accommodate them later on, i went from a pair of trusted B&W P5's to the minx setup and while not as good in some respects they are better in others and the audio trade off was honestly more than made up for in WAF and detail, as i said in a real world cinema set up the BMR drivers mean i don't have to sit rigidly to one sweet spot - i am honestly seriously impressed and don't be to hasty to discount them purextc69

Can you explain why you would be willing to spend so much money on such tiny little speakers.

Minx 12 - £140/pair -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO MINX MIN12White Single Speaker

Minx 22 - £240/pair -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO MINX MIN22Black Single Speaker

That is a considerable amount of money for not very much speaker.

I would speculate that these are much better choices -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SX50 Black Speakers Per Pair

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SX60 Walnut Speakers Per Pair

Q ACOUSTICS 2020I Graphite Speakers Per Pair

Q ACOUSTICS 3020 Matte Graphite Speakers Per Pair

Why build a Make-Do system, when the speakers I suggested will likely last you for decades?

Steve/bluewizard
Hi I've just look at them what center speaker and sub would be best to go for.

Hi I've just look at them what center speaker and sub would be best to go for.

It depends on your budget. Ideally you want the Center that matches the Front Left/Right speakers -

Q Acoustic 2000Ci Center Speaker - £79 -

Q ACOUSTICS 2000Ci GRHGraphite Single Centre

Q Acoustic 3090C Center Speaker - £119 -

Q ACOUSTICS 2000Ci GRHGraphite Single Centre

Cambridge Audio SX70 Center Speaker - £139 -

CAMBRIDGE AUDIO SX70Walnut Single Centre

The low price on the Q Acoustic 2000Ci Center is because these are older models on close-out.

As to a Subwoofer, we have little to go on, space? Budget? Etc...? The most commonly recommended Subs are from BK Electronics. The Sub does NOT have to brand and series match the other speakers, so any brand that fits your needs will do.

BK Electronics Subwoofers -

BK Electronics - Subwoofers

Even that smallest BK GEMINI II should get the job done nicely -

BK Electronics - Gemini-II

In a situation where space is exceptionally tight I can perhaps see something like the MINX, and if that serves you fine. But that is a lot of money for not very much speaker, which is why I reject them -

Cambridge Audio - Minx Series

Tiny 3" (at best) drivers only take you just so far.

Steve/bluewizard

Limiting is buying a pair of floor standers or bigger speakers and then not being able to accommodate them later on, i went from a pair of trusted B&W P5's to the minx setup and while not as good in some respects they are better in others and the audio trade off was honestly more than made up for in WAF and detail, as i said in a real world cinema set up the BMR drivers mean i don't have to sit rigidly to one sweet spot - i am honestly seriously impressed and don't be to hasty to discount them purextc69
Don't worry, I was impressed by them when my friend got them for his bedroom... I just agree with what BlueW said in terms of them being expensive. For the money I would want to spend it on something slightly more accomplished even for a smaller room space permitting and wife permitting. They are really the main reasons for most in purchasing these discreet speakers. Saying that, you can certainly do worse.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom