1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker Help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dgharwood, Apr 1, 2004.

1. dgharwood

dgharwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have got an all-in-one Pioneer and am in the process of upgrading. I have just purchased a Denon 770 Amp and DVD and was advised against getting the mathcing speakers.

I purchased and am hoping delivery today for the Celestion AVP 305s from hyperfi for 399, although they price matched unbeatable.co.uk

However, after looking into it I found quite a few bad reviews on the net saying 'the searing reble from the already bass-light centre speaker is hot enough to syringe ears - it possitively dominates the system's soudn. Get the channel levels right and there's a great feeling of atmosphere, but for any serious long term listening you've simply got to tame that high frequency excess Another one said that they were very good for some movies, yet the Dances with Wolves buffalo-hunt scene 'sounded boomy and indistinct'.

I can send them back for a refund but have been advised (by hyperfi) to check them out first.

Does anyone have experience of the Celestion speakers or can any others be recommended. I do not mind going up slightly on budget but am finding that whoever I speak to recommends something different and am looking if possible for a definitive solution!

HELP!

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    I would advise going back to square one. Then spend some time actually listening to different speaker packages to figure out what sounds good to you. Buying dirt cheap on the internet has its advantages but also major pitfalls as you have proudly demonstrated.

3. dgharwood

dgharwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am starting to learn this. Problem is I am in Swansea and we do not really have any good shops which can demonstrate a broad section. Have to venture to Cardiff I think...