Speaker help needed Replacement for Canton Movie 75

Garjen

Hi all

I have a Yamaha avr675. Currently running Canton Movie 75 and 2 onkyo atmos speakers.

I think the sound seems a little flat and the centre is a bit clinical/harsh.

I am using them in a conservatory so space is extremely limited.
I am thinking of a replacement set of small speakers +sub.

I think i have narrowed it down to focal dome 5.1 or the focal sib evo. Does anyone have experience with these and have any thoughts?

thanks

Garry

Last edited:

password1

Distinguished Member
If you haven't already I would try softening the environment first. Adding rugs, curtains if possible can make a big difference to the sound. Have you considered whether the amp might be clinical/harsh?

Those Cantons shouldn't be harsh or clincial.

Garjen

If you haven't already I would try softening the environment first. Adding rugs, curtains if possible can make a big difference to the sound. Have you considered whether the amp might be clinical/harsh?

Those Cantons shouldn't be harsh or clincial.
Hi
The environment is a solid roof, brick walled, conservatory fully insulated. It has soft furnishings, cushions etc.

Using a Yamaha avr675, that is 4 months old. Yapo used and its on flat.

Im getting some nice sound for music, but speech can come across harsh.

No extra base or treble being used and it feels like something is missing.
Cross over set 160 across all speakers.

password1

Distinguished Member
160 is pretty high and there may be a gap or dip depending on how high the sub can reach. I would try lower, no lower than 100-120hz for the centre.

An alternative, if you're not happy with the speech, is to consider just changing the centre.

password1

Distinguished Member
Also see if you can eq on the avr.

i think reducing the amount of hard surfaces and playing about on the avr should help. Changing the centre should be the last resort.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom