Speaker Height

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andyp, Jan 25, 2001.

1. andyp

andyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would really appreciate some expert knowledge of the subject of speaker height. My speakers are all B&W, as follows: 602 fonts, 601 rears and a CC6 centre channel. I am in the process of designing and making my own stands, therefore the height is completely open. My plan was to set the heights such that the tweeters are all at ear level when sitting in my ‘viewing chair’. However, I have heard that even though this is fine for the fronts, the rears should be higher. If so, how high? With the rears set so the tweeters are at ear level, the main drivers will in fact be somewhat masked by the sofa - is this OK?

The centre will be in a cabinet beneath the TV, so is not an issue here.

Thanks for any advice.

Andy P.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Fronts and center (if possible) on ear level, the rears a bit higher, about 1.8m above ground.
    If di/bipoles they should sit on the wall beside the listening position, or, like in your case with "normal speakers", behind - but still making a triangle with the listener.
    If they are blocked by the sofa they should be raised anyhow.