1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speaker height for listening

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Vodder, May 24, 2004.

1. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best height for placing bookshelf speakers around the room?

My centre is currently on top on the tv (36" Panasonic), which in turn is level with height to the 2 front B&W 602s when they are on their stands. I am guessing that these stands are approx 60cm.

I have been offered some 45cm stands for the rear B&W 601s. The sofa has low back - think Ikea and you'll probably have a rough idea. Will these stands be high enough for the rears?

Cheers,

Tim

2. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a similar boat to you - centre on top of the TV and stereo on 60cm stands - this is all good. I also have a low Ikea sofa and as I am short on space have put my rears on 50cm stands beside it. In retrospect I think it may have been a better idea to have mounted them higher on the wall in order to reduce the directionality of the surround sound. This is an option for the future and I'm considering trying some dipoles.

3. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure dipoles would hold my 601s. Could wall mount - but only with the 600s.

Do you have any problems then? I'm thinking the 45cm will be too low for the rear, so would swap them around - put the 60cm at the back.

Though would this effect stereo as the fronts would then be another 10cm lower than the centre speaker....?

4. theroohster

theroohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    People usually recommend mounting the rears fairly high - above your seating position...particularly if going for bipole/dipole designs.
    I had a pair of Kef Q15s at the rear on some 1.5 metre stands and they sounded fine.
    10cm lower than the centre at the front isn't going to mess up the image too much.

5. HDPete

HDPete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The Dolby Digital web site has a very good section on speaker placement for the ideal image.

From memory, it refers to both bi-polar and standard speakers.